EL
Greek Travel Pages

Destinations Guide

You are here GREECE EPIRUS ARTA
ARTA (ART), Town, EPIRUS

Information on the area

Information about the place (1)
   Educational institutions WebPages (1)
Sights (4)
   Bridges (3)
   Castles, fortresses & fortifications (1)
Culture & Art Centres (2)
   Museums (2)
Places of worship (10)
   Churches (8)
   Monasteries (2)
Useful Information (4)
   Police (3)
   Tourist police (1)
Local governments (4)
   Municipalities' district offices (1)
   Prefectures (1)
   Services (1)
   Town-halls (1)

Information about the place (1)

Educational institutions WebPages

Sights (4)

Bridges

The Arta Bridge


It is the most important greek bridge, well-known due to the famous legend of the chief-builder, known not only in Greece and Balkan but in other countries too. Its history goes back in time even before the roman period, maybe in the times of Pyrros, the king of Epirus. Obviously this should be the bridge that Plinios mentioned in his writings. During the centuries, the Arta Bridge has been restored and extended many times. The last restoration was in 1612. A lot of folkloric essays, theatrical plays and operas were written about this famous bridge and the legend following it.

This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Castles, fortresses & fortifications

Castle of Arta

Tel: +30 26810 24636, Fax: +30 26810 79821

  The castle of Arta was built in the middle of the 13th century, during the reign of the Despot of Epirus Michael II Komnenos Doukas (1230-1268). Here were the palaces of the ruler and the administrative headquarters of the Despotate of Epirus, one of the two Byzantine states established after the fall of the Byzantine Empire to the Latin Crusaders in 1204.
  The castle was built on a low hill in the northeastern part of Arta, and in fact its enclosure wall is founded on the ancient fortification of the city. The massive walls were reinforced on three sides with a total of 18 towers, while the east side had as natural limit and defense shield the riverside of Arachthos, which was much closer to the walls at that time than it is today. The defensive character of the castle was strengthened in the Ottoman period, when it was the seat of the Turkish governor of the city. The tall clock tower, built as a natural extension of the walls, was erected in 1875.
  In the southwestern corner of the castle is formed an internal fortress, which the Turks called "Uc Kale" (acropolis) and the locals "Kastraki" (small castle). The inner wall surrounding the fort, the labyrinthine entrance, the crypts and the confined vaulted rooms indicate that this area was the ultimate refuge from invaders and it is also suggested that from the mid-14th century the court of the reigning family had also been transferred here. The palace of Komninoi-Doukes no longer exists today, while some scant architectural remains and decorative features are the only evidence that Kastraki was its likely location. During the Turkish occupation the area functioned as a prison until the liberation of Arta in 1881. It is said that during the Revolution of 1821, the Turks imprisoned in Kastraki General Makriyannis with his fellow fighters.
  Today, the center of the main fort occupies the building of the Xenia hotel, while in Kastraki operates since 1987 the municipal outdoor theater, which hosts important cultural events of the city.
  Though its turbulent history did not leave it unscathed, the castle still stands proudly in the most prominent part of the city, in spite of conquerors and time. The medieval castle, along with the Byzantine churches of Arta, comprise one of the most important monumental complexes preserved today in Greece, indisputable witnesses of the last gleam of Byzantium in its twilight years.

References: Prefectural Unit of Arta Website


Culture & Art Centres (2)

Places of worship (10)

Churches

St. Theodora

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


St. Basil

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


  Single-aisled basilica with two conched chapels, the south dedicated to St. Gregory and the north to St. John Chrysostomos. The walls are lavishly decorated on the outside with patterns in brick and tile. Two glazed clay icons were preserved on the pediment of the east side; the first depicts the three Hierarchs and the second the Crucifixion. They are exhibited now in the Byzantine Museum of Ioannina. The interior is decorated with wall paintings dated to the 17th century.
  The church is located in the old quarter of the Tourkopazaro, in Arta. It was built at the end of the 14th century A.D. During the 17th century, the "Greek School" of the scholar Castorianos Manolakis was established in its precinct. The first scholars to mention the church of St. Bazil in modern times are the Russian archimandrite Antoninos in 1886 and the metropolitan bishop Serapheim in 1884.
  In 1979 the frescoes were cleaned and restored, in 1980 the roof was repaired and the masonry was consolidated. In 1991 the roof was reconstructed, and in 1994 the electrical installation was completed. Today the monument is used as a church but liturgy takes place only on the day of its patron saint.

This text is cited July 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Church of Agios Vasilios Ghefyras


Saint Marcos

It is a small church built in 1770.


Church of Agii Anargyri at Arta

Tel: +30 26810 27533, Fax: +30 26810 28610

Monasteries

Useful Information (4)

Tourist police

Tourist Police Station of Arta

Tel: +30 26810 80103-4, Fax: +30 26810 27707

Police

Arta Police Headquarters

Tel: +30 26810 80100, Fax: +30 26810 24439

Police Department of Arta

Tel: +30 26810 80103

Police Department of Arta Region

Tel: +30 26810 80165

Local governments (4)

Prefectures

Regional Division of Arta

Tel: +30 26813 61000

Town-halls

Arta Municipality

Tel: +30 26813 62100, Fax: +30 26813 62253

Municipalities' district offices

Services

Devolved Administration of Peloponnisos, Western Greece & Ionio

Tel: +30 2610 452176, 2613 600173, Fax: +30 2610 430683
Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.