At about 12 km southerly of Rovies
and 21 km from the provincial capital of Limni
, there is the historical Convent of Holy David, the so called "Old
Man", built on the foot of Kavalaris Mountain (called in another way, Dry
) and an altimeter of 500 meters. The Convent was built in half of
the 16th century by Holy David himself, on the pre-existent ruins of the ancient
church of Christ's Transfiguration.
During the years of 1821 Revolution against the Turks, the Convent
supported actively the fight and assisted the Leader Captain Angelis Rovios, as
this results from the historic records kept in the Convent. This is the reason
that it was destroyed by Turks in 1823.
In 1877 it was reconstructed and so has continued its living till
today, in the form of a men's convent. Many chapels are built round the Convent,
with the Saint's cavernous hermitage located to the western point, "Agiokeri"
to the southern point, in sites of highest beauty.
In the underground chapel of the Convent's cells, in memory of Saints
Anargyroi, there are wonderful wall paintings of the 17th century.
Recently the figure of the deceased superior of the Convent enviable
father Jacob, was assimilated to the Convent, the world and the devoutness, and
the worshipers don't omit to pay a visit to his grave. The Convent, which was
restored today, welcomes a number of faithful throughout the year.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist
Type of location: Settlement
Postal Code: 34005
Tel +30 22270
Altitude: 500 meters
Longitude: 23o 16' 04.83" E
Latitude: 38o 50' 44.52" N