GOUVES (Village) EVIA - Greek Travel Pages

GOUVES, Village, EVIA

GOUVES Village EVIA View map

Overview

  A traditional village built on two mountain slopes full of plane and pine trees. During the Turkish domination the region belonged to the Turkish bey Mohamed Ibrahim and his sister Haime Naile. In 1831 the Turks sold their land to the Greeks Vaptistis Drossos and Alexandros Desyllas. In 1882 the land of the community was transferred to its inhabitants. The only highschool in the Municipality of Artemissio is situated in the village.
  A tower, where the Greek poet George Drossinis lived, rises above the village. The tower has been restored to accommodate a museum. On the beach of the village the fortress of Metaxas, which served as a defense post during the World War II, still remains. You can see the base of the cannons, the cook-house and the watch tower.
Τhis text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Artemissio tourist pamphlet.

Find within GOUVES

pin
3
Related Destinations
View
bed
0
Hotels & Accommodation
View
Boat
Domestic sea schedules

Additional area information for GOUVES

Choose one from the list below or click here to see them all (3) members only
Total area information: 13 information found around the area

Geographical Data

Type of location: Bay, Municipal district
Postal Code: 34200
Tel +30 22260
Altitude: 65 meters
Longitude: 23o 14' 47.56" E
Latitude: 39o 00' 13.25" N

Population Census

Year Population
1991 514
1981 565
Distances:
115.0 Kilometers South-southeast (SSE) the prefectural capital CHALKIDA Town, EVIA , GREECE
14.5 Kilometers West-southwest (WSW) the provincial capital ISTIEA Small town, EVIA , GREECE
Ancient sites within Municipal's District:
ARTEMISSION Ancient city, ISTIEA , GREECE

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions