Antirrion the ancient Greeks called it "Rion the Malykreion",
and Rion "Rion the Achaikon". Here, on a hill, there lie ruins of two
anient cities, Makyneia
. Its geographical
site, at the entrance of the Corinthian
, made its fortification imperative. After the fall of Nafpaktos (29th
August 1499) Vagiazet the 2nd built there a fortress, that was seized in 1532
by A. Ntoria, chief of the united Christian forces. The fortress was rebuilt by
Morozini in 1669, but was demolished by the treaty of Karlovits and rebuilt again
later by the Turks.
The distance separating Antirion from Rion
is 1850 meters, soon to be connected by a giant bridge in light of the beginning
of 21st century.
This text (extract) is cited August 2003 from the Prefecture
of Aetoloacarnania tourist pamphlet (2000).