The airport of Heraklio was constructed in 1937, 4km away from Heraklion city, and the first small planes started landing.
In the beginning was a large levelled field and the first landed plane, which transferred passengers, was a JUNKERS-52 type, with a capacity of 14 passengers and belonged to the Greek Air Transport Association. That was in the summer of 1939. In the autumn of 1946 the air transport resumed, with airplanes of DC - 3 type (Dakotas), after being cut off in 1941 because of war.
The airport had a substandard means of handling aircrafts and passengers. There were three tents, out of which the one was used by the Administration, the other one housed the offices of airlines and the third was passengers’ waiting room. For runway lighting were used storm- lights and the determination of the direction and intensity of wind, for the landing aircraft, was up to the smoke from dried grass, that smoke had the role of a wind cone. In 1947 a small building constructed for housing the facilities, as also a small passengers’ room.
In 1948 ELLAS (airline company) began flights from/to Heraklio Airport. A total number of 4000 passengers handled in that year. In 1953 was built the runway 09-27 with an initial length of 1850 meters.
In 1954 for first time a four-engine jet plane, belonging to TAE Airlines, DC-4 type, with a capacity of 64 passengers landed here. Using this type of aircraft has led to rapid growth in air traffic, which reached 18,000 passengers that year.
After 1957, when the new airline Olympic Airways used aircrafts of DC-68 type of 95 seats, passengers’ traffic increased continuously between Heraklion - Athens.
The present Heraklion Airport has been operating in a new building since 1971. Since then various projects have been carried out to extend the building and runs in order to meet the needs of growing air traffic.
The Heraklion International Airport operates on 24/7 basis throughout the year.
Sitia Municipal Airport, is located at the Bonta area of Municipality of Sitia in a distance of 1 km from the town.
On June 7, 1984 the first aircraft of Olympic Aviation, DORNIER 228 type was landing at the airport of Sitia. A little earlier, on June 9 had become the opening of the airport.
After two years, in 9.6.1986 the asphalt RWY 17/23, TWY and APRON work was completed.
In May 1993 the airport’s services are relocated from the old to the new building, which has additional an Air Traffic Tower. New building area is 550 sq.m. On 5.1.2003 the new runway aircraft RWY 05/23 worked, with a length of 2100 m and a width of 60 m with belts + /- 75 m, which is supported by three new runways and two new aircrafts’ parking, either for large and small ones. On 5.1.2003 airport’s services were relocated from the old buildings, which were razed, in new temporary buildings, in an area of 1000 sq.m.
Sitia airport can serve aircrafts of small and medium size. Regular flights to and from the airport are made from/to other Greek airports. Also, the airport is able to serve charter flights and private aircrafts.
According to a statement issued by Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority on 04/12/2010 the operation hours of Sitia Municipal Airport from 4.17.2015 to 10.24.2015 are:
For your convenience, please check out at the below mentioned dates & hours, when there will be some changes to the airport’s operation:
1. 4/18-6/13 every Saturday 10:00-11:30 & 15:45-22:00
2. 4/22-6/24 every Wednesday 13:00-17:30
3. Wednesday 9/30, 10/7, 10/14, 10/21 13:00-17:30
4. Saturday 10/10, 10/17, 10/24 10:00-11:30 & 15:45-22:00
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!