Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for destination: "THASSOS
Archaeological sites (4)
Perseus Site Catalog
Periods: Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Modern
Type: Fortified city
Summary: Center of an island city-state.
The city of Thasos (on the N coast of the island, opposite
the mainland) had 2 ancient harbors, one of which was enclosed by the city's fortification
system. The extant walls of Thasos date mainly to ca. 411 B.C., but rest on earlier
foundations of walls demolished first by order of the Persians (491 B.C.), and
again by order of the Athenians (463 B.C.). Several of the extant city gates,
however, date to the earlier Archaic circuit. Within the ca. 4 km long walls of
the city are a number of sanctuaries (including those to Poseidon, Artemis, Herakles
and Dionysos), residential and commercial buildings, and the agora in the lower
town. The agora is located at the center of the city's shore line, with a gateway
to the adjacent fortified harbor. The agora was surrounded by stoas and public
buildings and contained many altars and small shrines. The city walls extend to
the SW to enclose the 3 summits of the acropolis where individual sanctuaries
to Apollo, Athena and Pan are located. In the Roman period an odeion, basilica
and monumental arch were added. The Greek theater on the slope, along the E wall
of the city was remodeled by the Romans to serve as an arena.
The island of Thasos has been inhabited since the Neolithic
period. According to tradition the island takes its name from Thasos, the leader
of a group of Phoenician traders who were exploiting the gold mines of the island
in the Early Iron Age when the island was inhabited by a Thracian tribe. Around
680 B.C. Ionian Greeks from Paros colonized the island. Thasos reached its greatest
prosperity during the Archaic and early Classical period due to its position on
the sea routes, its supply of timber and marble for export, and in particular
its gold mines. The island submitted to the Persians in 491 and 480 B.C. In 477
Thasos joined the Athenian controlled Delian League. The island was unsuccessful
in attempts to withdraw from Athenian dominance in 464 and 411 B.C. and in 377
B.C. it joined the 2nd Athenian League. In the Hellenistic and Roman periods Thasos
had little political power, but remained prosperous.
Early topographical exploration by A. Conze in 1858 and
J. Bent in 1886. In 1910 the French School began excavations at the ancient city
which have continued, with interruptions until the present. Research outside the
city includes: excavations at the sanctuary at Aliki by J. Bent in 1886 and by
the French School in 1924 and 1961-1962; excavation at a cave near the sanctuary
by A. Romiopoulou in 1962; and excavations at a necropolis at Theologos by the
French School in 1925.
Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 185 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Ancient Theatre of Thassos
- Prefecture of Kavala web page
Rectangular building dating from the early 3rd century BC. A partially preserved inscription found on an architectural fragment from the superstructure, attributed the establisment of the building to Thersilohos.
In the middle of the north side, a doric portico marked the entrance to the auditorium. Sixteen ionic columns, arranged in a square around the middle of the room, supported the roof, which had an opening for ventilation and light. On three sides, wooden benches along the base of the wall were provided for seating.
Today only the foundation, a few column bases, and parts of the superstructure survive.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Foundation of the Hellenic World URL below, which contains image.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.