Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for destination: "ISTHMUS KORINTHOS
Archaeological sites (2)
Ancient Diolkos of Corinth
Diolkos is a paved road which was used for the transport of boats by land
on a platform ("puller of boats").
Its western section was excavated to a length of 255m. on the Peloponnesos
side of the Isthmus and of 204 m. on the Sterea Hellas side, in the precinct of
the School of Engineering.
Its width is 3,40 - 6,00m. It is paved with square blocks of poros
and carried two grooves in the middle, at a distance of 1,50 m. from each other.
On its western side it ended on a paved quay.
It became necessary to built the "diolkos" in order to provide a quick
passage for the boats between the Saronic Gulf and the Corinthian Bay. It was
constructed during the 6th century B.C., probably during the tyranny of Periandros
in Corinth. Its
westren end was reconstructed at the beginning of the 4th century B.C. It was
used for the transport of small boats, mostly warships, up to the 9th century
A.D. as is confirmed by various sources.
The monument was excavated during the years 1956-1959 by the Greek
Archaeological Service (under the direction of N.Verdelis). Supplementary
investigations were undertaken in 1960 and 1963 by the archaeologist with funds
from the Archaeological Society.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.
- Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
- Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.