Listed 11 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for destination: "KORINTHOS
Archaeological sites (11)
Perseus Site Catalog
Periods: Neolithic, Early Bronze Age, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic,
Type: Fortified city
Summary: Corinth was the capital of a major Greek city-state in
the Archaic and Classical periods; a meeting place of the Hellenic League in the
Hellenistic period and the capital of the Roman province of Achaea.
Ancient Corinth is strategically located 10 km SW of the
Isthmus of Corinth and 3 km inland from its port of Lechaion, on the gulf of Corinth.
The harbor town of Kenchreai, 10 km to the E, provided the city with access to
the Saronic gulf. Corinth controlled the N-S land traffic over the Isthmus and
maintained the Diolkos, a stone paved portage for ships crossing the Isthmus.
Corinth was linked to Lechaion in the 5th century B.C. by parallel Long Walls
(cf. Athens and Piraeus) which enclosed a large area of urban and agricultural
land as well as numerous sanctuaries. To the S, walls extended from Corinth and
ascended to the natural strong hold on the heights of Acrocorinth. The large fortress
on Acrocorinth, with its triple line of fortifications and supply of spring water
was almost impregnable and a key (throughout history) to the control of the Peloponnese.
Within the fortifications of Corinth itself (an area over twice the size of Classical
Athens) religious, civic, commercial and domestic buildings as well as a large
number of markets, factories and taverns crowded around the centrally placed Temple
of Apollo. Most of the remains visible today date to the rebuilding and embellishment
of the city during the Roman period.
The name Korinthos is pre-Greek and the site was occupied
from the Early Neolithic through the Early Bronze Age. There is little evidence
for settlement in the Middle and Late Bronze Ages, however, when the region of
the Corinthia is overshadowed by the neighboring Argolid. Traditionally, Corinth
was founded by the Dorians. During the 7th and 6th centuries B.C. it became a
leading mercantile and colonizing power. Pottery and bronzes manufactured in Archaic
Corinth were traded as far as Spain, Egypt and the Black Sea. After the Persian
Wars, the rise of Athens weakened Corinth's overseas contacts and power and Corinth
is frequently aligned with Sparta against Athens during the Classical period.
The defeat of the Greek forces at Chaironeia (338 B.C.) resulted in a Macedonian
garrison being placed at Corinth and the city became the meeting place for the
Macedonian controlled Hellenic League. Corinth flourished under Macedonian rule,
but revolted in 224 B.C. to join the renewed Achaean League. In 146 B.C. the League
was defeated by Rome and Corinth was completely destroyed by the Roman general
Mummius. The city remained virtually abandoned until Julius Caesar established
a colony of veterans on the site in 44 B.C. It became the capital of the Roman
province of Achaia in 27 B.C. Extensive rebuilding in the 1st century A.D. included
the addition of a forum, large public baths, and an amphitheater. Under Roman
patronage Corinth soon reclaimed and exceeded its earlier reputation as the Greek
city most noted for luxury, vice, and decadence. Corinth suffered and survived
barbarian destruction in the 3rd and 4th centuries and disastrous earthquakes
in the 6th century A.D. Its steady decline in prosperity was finally completed
by the sack of the city by the Crusaders in the 12th century.
Earliest excavation in 1886 by W. Dorpfeld. A. Skias excavated
in 1892 and 1906. From 1896 to the present, excavations by the American School.
Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 99 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Perseus Building Catalog
Corinth, Temple of Apollo
Summary: Peripteral temple; in the Sanctuary of Apollo.
Date: ca. 540 B.C.
Doric peripteral temple, 6 x 15 columns. Double cella, one opening west, one
opening east, with no door adjoining the 2 rooms. Each cella had 2 rows of columns
and a pronaos which was distyle in antis. A total of 38 columns.
This temple replaces an earlier temple, ca. 625 B.C., on the same location.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 9 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Εllipsoid roman building in the southern part of the Roman
forum. It was established to house the local Voule of the city, and dates back
to the late 1st century BC.
The erection of Curia was part of the major project of rebuilding
the city after 44 BC, the year when the city was re-established by the Caesar
as a roman colony. The building was divided to the main conference room and an
ante-chamber. The roofed main room was formed by two linear and two curvilinear
walls, along which were stone benches. One or three gates led to the oblong room
with curvilinear narrow sides. The north facade of the building was decorated
with two front portals.
The architectural form of the building is unique in Greece, but it
bears some resemblance with some roman buildings in Italy. The walls are perserved
up to a considerable height.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Foundation of the Hellenic World URL below.
The Corinth Computer Project
- University of Pennsylvania WebPage
The American School of Classical Studies at Athens.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.