EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 46 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites for destination: "ARKADIA Ancient area PELOPONNISOS".


Archaeological sites (46)

Ancient acropoles

ASSEA (Ancient city) VALTETSI

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Gortsouli hill

  Κοντά στον αρχαιολογικό χώρο της αρχαίας Μαντινείας βρίσκεται λόφος χαρακτηριστικού σχήματος, ο λόφος Γκορτσούλι και ο αρχαιολογικός του χώρος. Στούς πρόποδες του λόφου υπάρχει μικρός οικισμός, ενώ ένας χωμάτινος δρόμος οδηγεί στην κορυφή του. Σύμφωνα με τους αρχαιολόγους στη θέση αυτή υπήρχε εκτεταμένος οικισμός και ακρόπολη των Πρωτοελλαδικών χρόνων. Στους αρχαϊκούς χρόνους η πόλη μεταφέρθηκε στον επίπεδο χώρο, δηλαδή στη θέση του αρχαιολογικού χώρου της αρχαίας Μαντινείας. Στην κορυφή του λόφου, όπου και ο ναός της Ζωοδόχου Πηγής, βρέθηκαν σε ανασκαφές του Θ. Σπυρόπουλου μυκηναϊκά όστρακα και ένα ναϊκό κτίσμα ορθογωνίου σχήματος στο εσωτερικό του οποίου αποκαλύφθηκαν πολλοί σφαιρικοί αρύβαλλοι και άλλα ευρήματα των όψιμων αρχαϊκών χρόνων. Λείψανα ναϊκού κτίσματος ανακαλύφθηκαν επίσης και στον κοντινό λόφο Τριπήχι, όπου βρέθηκαν χαρακτηριστικά λατρευτικά πήλινα εδώλια κάποιας θεότητας, τα οποία εκτίθενται στο Αρχαιολογικό Μουσείο Τρίπολης.

Το κείμενο παρατίθεται τον Μάρτιο 2003 από την ακόλουθη ιστοσελίδα, με φωτογραφία, του ARCADIA website, του Πανεπιστημίου Πατρών


Mycenaean centre


Ancient sanctuaries

Sanctuary of Aphrodite Erycine


LYKEON (Mountain) ARCADIA

Sanctuary of Zeus Lycaeus


LYKOSSOURA (Ancient city) MEGALOPOLI

The Sanctuary of Despoina

  The ruins are 7 km W of Megalopolis. The only source for the city is Pausanias' reference (8.37-38) to the Sanctuary of Despoina, a very ancient Chthonic divinity identified with Persephone-Kore, whose date was confirmed by excavations undertaken in 1889 and later. To the E and to the N foundations of a Doric portico have been found, before which, from E to W are arranged three altars consecrated to Demeter, Despoina, and the Great Mother. The temple was 15 m from the altar farthest to the W, and was perhaps constructed in the 4th c. B.C. It is a Doric prostyle temple, with a hexadic facade of marble, on three steps, oriented to the E. Recognizable are a pronaos and a cella, the major part of which was occupied by a pedestal which supported a group of cult statues in marble. These were the work of Damophon of Messene, active around the middle of the 2d c. B.C. They represented Demeter, Despoina, Artemis, and Anytos. During the excavation many fragments of sculpture recognizable as belonging to the group were found, which permitted its reconstruction after a coin of Megalopolis. Despoina and her mother Demeter were seated, while Artemis and Anytos were standing. The remains of the group are in the National Museum at Athens. One exited from the temple to the outside through a lateral door in the S wall. In the cella are the remains of a mosaic, and before the temple there are two bases for bronze statues. Several tiles with the inscription Depoinas have come from the excavation, and date between 74 and 66 B.C. To the S of the pronaos several bases for offerings have been found, while the N part of the temple has been under discussion, even to the foundations. The temple dates, according to the latest interpretation, to the 2d c. B.C. On the N side in a spot called megaron by Pausanias, the remains of a large monumental altar have been found. The ancient city was located at the head of the plain of Terzi, to the W of the sanctuary. There the city walls have been identified, dating from the 5th-4th c. B.C., and the foundation of a temple has been found under a Byzantine chapel.

G. Bermond Montanari, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

MILEA (Village) MANTINIA

Sanctuary of Poseidon Ippios (Horse)


TEGEA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

VERVENA (Village) ASTROS

Sanctuary of Artemis Cnacaeatis


Ancient temples

ASSEA (Ancient city) VALTETSI

Poseidon Temple


Ancient theatres

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Ancient theatre of Mantinia


MEGALOPOLIS (Ancient city) ARCADIA

ORCHOMENOS (Ancient city) LEVIDI

Ancient tombs

Mycenaean Cemetery of Palaiokastro


Ancient towns

ANTHINI (Ancient city) ASTROS

Ancient Anthene


EPISKOPI (Village) TEGEA

Archaeological Site of Episkopi


GORTYS (Ancient city) ARCADIA

KAFYES (Ancient city) LEVIDI

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA


MEGALOPOLIS (Ancient city) ARCADIA

ORCHOMENOS (Ancient city) LEVIDI

PALLANTION (Ancient city) TRIPOLI

PRASSIES (Ancient city) LEONIDION

Vrassies (Prassies)


Ancient villas & houses

EVA (Ancient settlement) ASTROS

Bouleuterion

MEGALOPOLIS (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Bouleuterion (Council House)

  A large rectangular building located on the north-eastern side of the ancient Agora. It was built a short distance from the main area of the Agora, on the other bank of the river Elisson.
  It was used as the meeting place of the "myriad", the 10.000 members of the Arcadic confederation. According to Pausanias, the foundation of the building was attributed to Thersilos, around 4th century BC. The building was constructed after the foundation of Megalopolis by Epameinondas, in 371 BC, after the defeat of the Lacaedemonians by the Thebeans at Leuctra.
  At the south side of the auditorium was a rectangular "orchestra". Along the other three sides there were rows of wooden seats. The 65 columns supporting the roof, were arranged in lines radiating from the center, to ensure visual contact with the speaker.

This text is cited March 2003 from the Foundation of the Hellenic World URL below.


Buildings

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Bouleuterion

  A Stoa at the South of agora, the seat of the local Boule (parliament) founded during 4th century BC. Wooden benchy along the walls provided for seating.
  Initially, the edifice had an "U" shaped plan, comprising three wings and a colonnade opening to the Agora. At the turn of 4th to 3rd century BC a second stoa was added at a lower level to the south connected to the older one through stairways. A room built at the east side during 2nd century AD most probably was dedicated to the worship or to man emperors.
  The use of the building for civic purpose rests on several inscriptions of a political nature (that where) found in or near it. The bouleuterion at Mantineia is a rare example of a stoa used for housing an assembly.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Foundation of the Hellenic World URL below.


Excavations

ASSEA (Ancient city) VALTETSI

Swedish Institute at Athens

Asea in Arcadia
  Asea is located in the heart of the Peloponnese. The Asea valley was inhabited, first in the Middle/Upper Paleolithic period (ca. 40.000 B.P) by people making their living from hunting and fishing. During most of the Neolithic period and the Bronze Age there were several villages in the valley, of which the most important one was located on the Asea Paleokastro hill. After a couple of dark centuries, an urban settlement developed on and around the Paleokastro with the hill as its akropolis. Just to the north of the akropolis a cultplace was located, which especially during Classical times attracted visitors from near and afar in order to make their offerings. This and much more has been learnt through the Asea Valley Survey undertaken between 1994-1996 and directed by Jeannette Forsen from Goteborg University. As a direct spinoff from the survey the Late Archaic temple located on top of the mountain Ayios Elias in Asea was excavated in 1997. During a four week long campaign Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian scholars found evidence of a nearly unbroken chain of cult practice from the Late Bronze Age to Hellenistic times. Sporadic finds of a younger date were also made. The city walls on and below the Asea Paleokastro were documented in the year 2000. The preliminary results of this work show that only the spurwalls are of Hellenistic date, whereas other walls on top of the akropolis are of Classical date.

Jeanette Forsen
This text is cited Jun 2005 from The Swedish Institute at Athens URL below


Mycenaean settlements

Mycenaean settlement of Paleopyrgos


Neolithic settlements

TORTHYNION (Ancient city) VYTINA

Neolithic Settlement of Kamenitsa


Perseus Site Catalog

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Mantinea

Region: Arcadia
Periods: Geometric, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman
Type: Fortified city
Summary: A rival of Tegea as the most important Arkadian city.

Physical Description:
    Located ca. 12 km NE of modern Tripolis on the upland plain, Mantinea occupied the area of 5 smaller villages that had synoicized at an uncertain date (cf. Tegea). The oldest section of the city was centered on the Gortsouli (ancient Ptolis) hill. In the 4th century B.C. the city was rebuilt and new city walls, ca. 4 km in length, were built with over 100 towers and 9 or 10 gates. The course of the river Ophis was altered to provide additional defense. The city walls are among the best fortifications of Classical Greece and may have been designed by the same Thebian engineer who planned the walls of Messene. The city had a Temple of Hera and a colonnaded agora with a theater at its W end.
Description:
   
Already mentioned in Homer's Iliad, Mantinea of the Classical period was a synoicism of 5 smaller villages. It was one of the most important of Arkadian cities and a rival of Tegea. Mantinea was allied with Sparta until the Peloponnesian War when it sided with Athens. In 385 B.C. Sparta destroyed Mantinea and dispersed the inhabitants. In 371 B.C. the city was rebuilt with new fortification walls and repopulated. In 370 B.C. Lykomedes of Mantinea instigated the foundation of the Arkadian League, but in 364 the city left the league to form a new alliance with Sparta. In 222 B.C. the city revolted against Macedonian control and suffered destruction by Antigonos Doson, who then rebuilt the city and renamed it Antigoneia, a name that it retained until the 2nd century A.D.
Exploration:
   
Excavations by the French School directed by G. Fougeres and V. Berard in 1887-1889.

Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 8 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


MEGALOPOLIS (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Megalopolis

Region: Arcadia
Periods: Classical, Hellenistic, Roman
Type: Fortified city
Summary: One of the largest cities in the Peloponnese.

Physical Description:
   
One of the largest cities in the Peloponnese, Megalopolis is located on a large plain and is bisected by the Helisson river. The city was protected by ca. 9 km of city walls and occupied by the inhabitants of ca. 40 abandoned Arcadian villages. On the N bank the civic center of the city included the agora, stoas, the Philippian Stoa, Sanctuary of Zeus Soter, and other civic buildings. The S bank section of the city was the center of the Arcadian League and the location of the Thersileion (the league's council house). The theater in the S sector was the largest in Greece with ca. 20,000 seats.
Description:
   
Megalopolis was founded ca. 370 B.C. by Epaminondas of Thebes as the capital of the Arcadian League and as a buffer city to help contain the Spartans. During the 4th century B.C. Megalopolis politically favored Macedonia and suffered a number of Spartan attacks. In the 3rd century the city joined the Achaean League. In 223 B.C. the Spartans (under Cleomenes III) succeeded in taking and destroying Megalopolis. The city was rebuilt and enjoyed some prosperity, but never regained political power, and by the 2nd century A.D. it was a minor town much in ruin. It was finally abandoned at the end of the Roman period.
Exploration:
   
Excavations in 1890-93 directed by W. Loring and others for the British School. M. Kavallieratos excavated in 1901 and in 1962-63 cleaning and minor excavations conducted by E. Stikas and C. Christou.

Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 13 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


TEGEA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Tegea

Region: Arcadia
Periods: Geometric, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine
Type: Fortified city
Summary: One of the oldest and most powerful cities of Arkadia.

Physical Description:
   
Ancient Tegea, ca 10 km SE of modern Tripolis, extended over a large area on an upland plain that had previously been occupied by 9 smaller villages. It had a city wall from ca. 370 B.C. and, in addition to the agora, theater, stadium and other civic buildings, it was the location of a Sanctuary of Demeter and Kore where many Geometric and Archaic votives have been excavated. The main sanctuary of ancient Tegea, however, was the Temple of Athena Alea, reputed in ancient times as one of the most important religious centers in Greece. The sanctuary originated in the Geometric period and served throughout antiquity as a famous place of asylum for fugitives and exiles, including a number of former kings of Sparta. The Archaic Temple of Athena was replaced by a new temple in the 4th century B.C. and in the 5th century A.D. a Christian church was built in its cella.
Description:
   
Tegea, one of the oldest cities of Arkadia, was first recorded in the Homeric Catalogue of Ships. In the Archaic period the 9 villages of Tegea joined in a synoicism to form one large city (cf. Mantinea and Sparta). After a long period of struggle, Tegea was forced into the role of a vassal state by Sparta at ca. 560 B.C. It remained under Spartan control until it joined the Arkadian League and fought against Sparta in 362 B.C. At ca. 370 B.C. Tegea constructed its first city walls. During the 3rd century, however, Tegea suffered 3 defeats by the Spartans. In 222 B.C. Tegea was forced into the Achaean League and it continued to lose political power during the Hellenistic period. The city retained its prosperity and commercial importance, however, and flourished well into the Roman period. At ca. A.D. 395 Tegea was destroyed by the Goths, but was rebuilt under the name Nikli, and became one of the most important Byzantine cities in the Peloponnese.
Exploration:
   
G. Fougeres and V. Berard excavated in 1888-1889 for the French School. The Temple of Alea Athena was investigated by A. Milchhofer in 1879 and by W. Dorpfeld in 1882: it was excavated by G. Mendel and C. Dugas of the French School between 1900 and 1910. K. Dimakopoulou excavated at the site in 1964-1965. The current excavations (1990-) are conducted by the Norwegian Institute at Athens, under the direction of E. Oestby.

Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 58 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


Workshops

STENO (Village) KORYTHIO

Ancient Metallurgical Furnaces In Steno


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.