Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites
for destination: "KARYSTOS
Archaeological sites (2)
Perseus Site Catalog
Periods: Dark Age, Geometric, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman,
Type: Port city
Summary: Main city state of southern Euboea.
The modern town of Karystos, built in the 19th century
A.D., is located on the N shore of the large Karystos Bay, at the S base of Mt.
Ochi. The definite location of the ancient city has not been determined by excavation.
Recent topographical research, however, indicates that the earliest city, of the
Geometric and Archaic periods, was situated just north of the Plakari Ridge at
the NW edge of the bay. During the Hellenistic and later periods the city of Karystos
was centered at modern Paliochora, 3 km N of the modern town. The exact date and
reasons for the transfer of the ancient city from Plakari to Paliochora remains
unknown. The harbor of post-Archaic Karystos was probably located at the small
bay of Geraistos, ca. 14 km to the E of Paliochora.
Karystos was listed in the Homeric Catalog of Ships and the
nearby Sanctuary of Poseidon at the harbor of Geraistos was recorded by Homer
as the first safe stopping place for the ships returning from the Trojan War.
Very little is known, however, about the early history of the Karystia. Karystos
is strategically located at the S entrance to the Euripos Channel and it was a
major objective of the first Persian advance in 490 B.C. In contrast to the other
Greek islands and states along the Persian route, however, Karystos did not submit
to the Persians without a fight. The Persians easily defeated the Karystians and
in 490 B.C. In 480, when the Persians returned the second time, Karystos surrendered
without a battle. After the defeat of the Persians on the mainland, Athens forced
Karystos into the Delian League, seized the Karystian port at Geraistos, and probably
imposed an Athenian clerouchy on the territory. With the exception of a short
period of Spartan influence in Euboea at the end of the 5th century B.C., Karystos
remained first subject to and then allied with Athens until Greece became a part
of the Macedonian empire after 322 B.C. Karystos, due largely to its important
maritime location and in part to its natural resources, remained prosperous throughout
the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
G. Papavasileiou carried out minor excavations in 1903-1910.
A long-term Canadian survey and excavation project began in 1984.
Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Ancient quarries of Karistos
In Southern Evia,
in the area between Karistos and Stira
there are the green stone quarries which were famous from antiquity. This area
was flourishing during the Roman times. Significant marble quarries can still
be found near Milous at Kilindri
where you can still see impressive monolithic columns which were abandoned there
from the time that the quarries were in use. Their actual size is amazing - 12
metres long and 1,5 metres in diameter.
There are other similar quarries at Vatisi
and Stira, Kapsala
and Pirgari Niboriou. Also,
a short distance form the quarries of Stira
there is a road cut into a mountain slope where the marble was rolled down to
the foot of the mountain. It was then transported in a wheeled vehicle to the
harbour Nimborio where it was exported. The exportation of marble was a profitable
business and Karistos became an important town. The green marble of Karistos has
been used fro the construction of the temple of Zeus at Kirini
(Lybia) fro the library
of Andrianos in Athens,
for the temple of Andonios and Fafstinas in Rome
and Julius Caesar's house. Later, it was used for the church of Saint
Dimitris and Achiropito
in Thessaloniki and Saint
Sophia and the church of Saint Apostoloi in Constantinople.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Prefecture
of Evia tourist pamphlet (1997).
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.