EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites for wider area of: "ARCHANES Municipality TEMENOS" .


Archaeological sites (6)

Ancient palaces

ARCHANES (Ancient city) CRETE

Minoan Palace

  Excavations are being performed in the area under the direction of E. Sakellarakis. Palatial-style buildings were discovered in the location of Turkogitonia within the village of Arhanes (200m east of the clock-tower). The excavations brought to light major discoveries including a large rectangular altar fresco and numerous artefacts. The buildings had an extraordinarily sophisticated architecture and the site is considered to be comparable to the other known Minoan palaces.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


Ancient sanctuaries

Archaeological Site at Anemospelia

Tel: +30 2810 752712, Fax: +30 2810 241515

  Rectangular building with three narrow chambers, each opening into a long corridor to the north, which extends along the whole width of the building.
  The area is enclosed with a stone wall and the whole structure has been interpreted as a shrine; in the central room was found a "xoanon" (statue) of the deity worshiped here. In the west room, where the altar stood, was uncovered, according to the excavator, the first human sacrifice to have ever taken place in Minoan times.
  The building at Anemospelia was used for only half a century, as it was suddenly destroyed by an earthquake in the middle of the 17th century BC.
  The site was excavated in the summer of 1979 by John Sakellarakis.


Minoan Shrine

  In the location of Anemospilia (signposted at the main square), a Minoan shrine was discovered. The shrine was destroyed in the large earthquake of 1700 B.C. that destroyed the old palaces. The archaeologists believe that a human sacrifice was taking place at the time of the disaster, probably attempting to avert the danger of the quakes.


Ancient tombs

Archaeological Site at Phourni

Tel: +30 2810 752712, Fax: +30 2810 241515

  Excavations at Phourni have brought to light one of the most important cemeteries of the Minoan civilisation. The cemetery dates from 2400 BC until 1200 BC and each funerary complex was used for a long period of time, bearing multiple and successive burials. The long term and systematic excavations on the site, which began in 1964 and lasted for about three decades, were conducted by Efi and John Sakellarakis under the auspices of the Athens Archaeological Society.

  The most important monuments of the site are:
  •Mycenaean Grave Enclosure. The funerary complex in the northern part of the cemetery contained seven graves of the LM IIIA period (14th century BC). The peribolos is rectangular and the graves, also rectangular, are hewn from the rock. In each of the shafts a sarcophagus (larnax) has been placed. All graves yielded a variety and wealth of offerings.
  Tholos Tomb A. It was constructed in the first half of the 14th century BC and has a dromos, tholos and a side chamber, which contained an intact royal burial inside a sarcophagus with rich offerings (gold necklaces, beads of sardium and glass-paste, gold signet-rings, bronze and ivory vases).
  •Building 4, the so-called "Secular Building". It lies almost at the centre of the eastern part of the cemetery. It is a complex rectangular structure, built on different levels, in two separate wings. It was probably used for the preparation of the dead, during the LM IA period (1550-1500 BC).
  •Tholos Tomb B. It is the largest and most complex structure of the cemetery, built before 2000 BC and used until the first half of the 14th century BC. Additions made during the long period of its use, resulted in its complex form, comprising twelve rooms in total. The whole building is rectangular outside, with an inscribed tholos at the centre.
  Funerary Building 6. It is an ossuary with six parallel, oblong rectangular rooms, built in the MM IA period (before 2000 BC). The deposits inside the structure are the result of the clearing of the neighbouring funerary buildings, and consisted mostly of skulls and numerous grave offerings.
  •Funerary Building 3. Square, symmetrical building, extremely well-built and well preserved, containing significant offerings. It imitates the domestic architecture of the period (doorways, antae, thresholds). It was used from the MM IA period (before 2000 BC) until after 1400 BC.
  •Tholos Tomb C. It is built above ground level, with an entrance on the east side and a built hearth in the SW part of the tholos. A remarkable architectural peculiarity is the construction of a window on the south side of the tholos. Burials were placed inside sarcophagi or directly on the floor and contained numerous offerings. The tholos dates from the EM III period (2250-2100 BC).
  •Funerary Building 19. It is the only apsidal funerary structure in Crete, used for burials and depositions during the MM IA-MM IB period (2100-1950 BC). The walls surrounding the apse are exeptionally thick, obviously for the support of the building, which was roofed with a vault. The burials contained wealthy and numerous offerings.
  Tholos Tomb E. This is probably the first funerary building to have been erected at Phourni, as the earliest burials date from 2400-2300 BC but it was re-used two centuries later (2100-2000 BC). It is built above ground level, with an entrance to the east, antae and lintel, and contained several burials with numerous offerings.
  •Tholos Tomb D. It yielded an undisturbed, rich female burial, dated to the 14th century BC. The tomb is cut in the hard rock, part of which was used as a section of the tholos wall while the rest is built of stones in irregular horizontal rings. The body of the deceased woman was placed on a wooden stretcher.


Minoan Cemetery

  In the location of Fourni (signpost at the main square), three well-preserved tholos tombs of the Postpalatial Period were discovered. One of them was a royal tomb containing 140 pieces of gold jewellery now displayed in the Iraklion Museum. The tomb has a very long dromos (entry road), possibly the longest in Crete. This Minoan cemetery was used for several centuries and has revealed much about burial practices. Within the cemetery compound there are buildings which show evidence of occupation, possibly by caretakers of the dead.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.