PYRA (Village) PARNASSOS
Column drums, parts of entablature and triglyphs from a prostyle Doric temple dated to the 3rd century BC are preserved. This temple had an ante chamber and a cella in antis. South of the temple an altar was used from Archaic to Roman period. In Roman times the original plan was expanded and defined by blocks. The site was excavated by N. Papadakis. The visible part of the temple was cleaned and the Pyre was excavated in 1919 - 20. The excavation has resumed in the area of the Pyre since 1988. The disturbed debris is being further explored.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!