The church, which once stood in the centre of the modern village of
Aiane, was the catholicon (main church) of a monastery, at least during the Turkish
occupation. In its last phase it was single-aisled, with a tribelon (triple arched
opening) between the aisle and narthex. The roof was constructed in various levels,
but it seems that its original plan was different. The foundation of the monument
is dated to the 10th or the 11th century. The interior was decorated with wall
paintings dated to 1624, which were covered by a second layer of frescoes in 1877.
The church collapsed in 1996 after an earthquake.
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!