EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "SKIATHOS Small town NORTH SPORADES".


Sights (2)

Castles, fortresses & fortifications

Bourtzi

  Bourtzi is a small peninsula which separates the port of Skiathos in two. In the past it was a fort, which was established by the Gizi brothers who occupied Skiathos in 1207. It was surrounded by walls battlements and embrasures and on the left and right of the gate there were two round towers. It is not possible to determine the height of the walls by the present ruins. Moreover, in the fort there was a tank and a small church called Agios Georgios, protector of the Venetians, probably built by the Gizi brothers. Because of that church, Bourtzi was also called "Kastelli tou Agiou Georgiou - Castle of St. George". The fort was destroyed in 1660 when the admiral Fransesco Morozini occupied the island In 1823 though the ruined embrasures, the island inhabitans - both Skiathans and refugees - managed to repulse Topal - pasha.
   After the liberation, the first lazaret of the island operated in Bourtzi. In 1906 a primary school was built in the centre of the peninsula, donated by Andreas Syngros. In the entrance of that school since 1925 there has been the bust of Alexandros Papadiamantis. Nowadays, Bourtzi is really a rare recreation place. It is full of pine trees, always with fresh, cool air and with a magnificent view. There are few ruins of the old fort and we can see, on the left and right of the street leading to the entrance of the old school, the sites of the church of Agios Georgios and of the fort tank.
   The old primary school has been converted into a picturesque cultural centre, with the initiative of the present municipal authorities. In it, there are practical conference rooms in good taste and a faboulous summer theatre which hosts successful theatrical and musical performances every summer. Moreover, in Bourtzi there is a municipal cafe where special nights are held. These fit in with the ambience of the small, full of green peninsula.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains images.


Houses

The house of Papadiamantis

  The house where Alexandros Papadiamantis was born on 4th March 1851 does not exist today. It was sold and the new owners put it down. Papadiamantis grew up and died in the new house his father built in 1860, as it is said on a built-in inscription on one of its walls. This house is located about 100 metres inland from the eastern coast of the city, in a narrow street which is a dead-end. It could be said that it is a sidestreet of the present Papadiamanti street. It has two levels with the upper floor (anogi) and the lower floor (katogi). The lower floor is made up of three rooms and a small oblong entrance which leads to these three rooms. On the left, as we enter, there is the winter room with its historical fireplace. This is where Papadiamantis lived his last moments. On the fireplace there were two shelves where all the cups of the house were.
   The smallest room on the right was in the begining a priest's room where Adamantios, Alexandros' father, kept his books and his vestments. Later it belonged to Alexandros and he used it as a bedroom and a study. It was absolutely like a monastery cell with a window, a built-in cupboard and his narrow and small bed. Right opposite the entrance, there is the living-room of the house with a coloured diamond-shaped design on the ceiling as the only decoration. The house is generally a simple, austere island house. Today the old entrance of the house which is on the western side is closed. The entrance side and the visitors enter the house - museum through external wooden stairs.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains images.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.