EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "PORTARIA Village VOLOS".


Sights (4)

Waterfalls

It is located in the site of Karavos. Its sources are in a ten minutes distance from the waterfall.


Local government WebPages

•"Pigi Manas" (a paved square and a pavilion to rest among the planes and the waters).
•"Karavos" Waterfall (a small natural waterfall, where the visitor has the opportunity of spending moments of relaxation and view Portaria from aloft).
•Square "Adamenas" (ideal place for relaxation and recreation, starting point of the "Centaurs' path" that leads to "Pigi Manas").
•Central Square "Melina Merkouri" (surrounded by hotels and taverns; here most cultural activities take place). •Square "Taxiarchon" (the visitor can enter the stone chapel and enjoy the magnificent view over Volos and Pagassitikos' gulf).
Monuments
•Athanassakio Kindergarten (one of the first in Greece).
•Zoulia Mansion (which operated as a Vocational School for girls, today it is a museum).
•Tsopotio School (nowadays, the elementary school).
•Theoxenia (ruins of the most luxurious hotel in the Balkans of the prewar era, which operated since 1905).
•Panaghia Portarea (Byzantine chapel of the 11th century, what is left from the old monastery, around which Portaria was built; according to certain sources, Portaria took its name from this chapel).
•Panaghitsa - Aghios Symeon (small church of archaeological importance, recently restored).
•Panaghia Odighitria (monastery with 40 nuns).
Restored Mansions
Athanassaki, Despotiko, Katartzi, Naoumidi, Hatziargiri
Fountains
  The word Pelion brings to mind endless expanses of green pasture and clear, crystalline water. This life giving element actually leaves the visitor ecstatic. The mind and the eyes relax completely, in any part of this area. As a result there are many fountains on this mountain.
   All over Portaria the visitor may see fountains and springs, simple or decorated, some with arches, scattered on the main road or in the narrow cobbled streets.
  Reaching the Municipality of Portaria, in front of the low wall, is the stone fountain which was made in 1965. This fountain is not new, but was transported from the courtyard of Lambrini Dobas house, where it was built in 1861. In the ground of the Town Hall there is yet another exquisite example , made from Propan stones. Further on in the parking area, one more stone fountain. Here the visitor can stop in peace, far from the traffic, to taste the cool water, while he appreciates the sight. Another fountain is near Aghios Nikolaos above the national road this is whitewashed and decorated with small red tiles.
  Going uphill towards Karavos, just before reaching the Devriades pension, the mayor Vassilis Kontorizos built two together, exactly beneath the playground. One more small fountain can be seen at the end of the cobbled street in front of his parental home. Procceding towards the Red Cross, just as you pass the hotel «Portaria», under the big plane tree is one more stone fountain. On the other side, from the Provinical road from Portaria to Makrinitsa is Adamenas fountain. The unique water is from its own spring. Under the plane trees in the ravine, meeting place of many residents of Volos, who come to get water- an excuse I believe- mainly to enjoy the unforgettable landscape. The beauty, the fresh, cool air, the view.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Portaria URL below, which contains images


Buildings

Hotel "Theoxenia"

  At the center of Portaria dominates the renowned «Theoxenia», the most luxurious hotel in the Balkans of the prewar era, which before it was ruined during second world war, accomodated many celebrities of that period. Nowadays the municipality organizes cultural activities at «Theoxenia», the garden of which is about to be transformed into a small open theatre.
  The hotel «Theoxenia» opened in the year 1905. It was built in three years by the engineer M. Argiris. Mr K. Athanasakis (the owner) wanted to build an exceptional hotel in the region of the Balkans, which would accomodate in the beautiful villages of Pelion and Portaria mainly businessmen and celebrities from Greece and the Near East, with whom he was aquainted through his business transactions in Egypt.
   In fact the hotel «Theoxenia» functioned on new methods of accomodation with a very high standard of comfort. The 25 rooms offered luxuries and comforts which were unique for that era. On the ground floor was situated the restaurant and the large reception hall where evening parties, accompanied by the «harpsichord» were held almost every night during the summer. The front of the hotel had a spacious garden with alleys along which the guests, but also distinguished residents of Portaria would often take their walk. In the back there was a tennis court and a small fountain where the children could play, and this was also the starting point for excursions on horseback to the summit of Pelion.
  The hotel «Theoxenia» was one of the reasons that Portaria developed tourism, especially after the royal decree of 1920 which qualified the area as a place of exceptional natural beauty, together with Kifissia and Hydra. Amongst the famous groups which met every summer at «Theoxenia» a distinguished place belongs to the «circle of the mountain» who were mainly writers and poets.
  The hotel's history continues until 1940 when it was requisitioned by the Italian command and use as military headquarters. The last blow was in August 1944 when Portaria was bombed and many mansions were burned down. Amongst these was «Theoxenia». Today the ruined walls covered with ivy offer to the visitor an idea of its past splendour.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Portaria URL below, which contains images


Religious monuments

Panaghia Portarea

  The chapel is a single space with a wooden roof, and was built in the 16th century on the byzantine cloister of Panaghia Portarea.
  The restoration work which was effected in recent years on the monument showed that part of the low walls from the initial byzantine chapel on the north, south and east side have been preserved, which have the same dimensions as the chapel of the 16th century. This small monastery, as we are informed from relative sources, was older than the monastery of Prodromos Nea Petra, to which it belonged after its foundation. Most probably it was built during the first half of the 13th century.
  The chapel contains 16th century murals.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Portaria URL below, which contains image


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.