Sights MAGNESSIA (Prefecture) THESSALIA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 33 sub titles with search on: Sights  for wider area of: "MAGNESSIA Prefecture THESSALIA" .

Sights (33)


Arched Bridge

  In the centre of the village of Kerassia a stone-built bridge is situated, which is joining the two parts of the village on the banks of Kerassiotis river. It consists of two unequal arches constructed with nicely worked grey-green schist stones reiforced with metal joints. The surface of the road has strong inclination and is covered with a stone path approximately 3,00 m large. It was built in 1886.
  In 1988 it was characterized as a preserved historical monument. Repairing works took place on the bridge in 1993.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.

The stone built arched bridges in Lestani, in Lziniko, in Alvezi, in Kakona and the bridge in Karia are remarkable spesimens of Traditional Architecture.


Velentzas Bakery

  This is a ground building made of stone, of a rectangular plan, 9x12 m. in dimention and consists of only one room. Its roof is wooden and covered with tiles of the "byzantine" type as well as with a circumferent zone of schist slabs. On the parts of the walls between the big windows the famous folk painter Theofhilos Chatzimichael has painted nine wall paintings -eight on the inside walls and one on the main front of the building.
  It was built in 1897. It was used as a bakery and stopped funcioning as one in 1950. The decoration by Theophilos was done in 1910.
  The building went through conservation works in 1986. The wall structure was reinforced, the roof was replaced, the plasters were repaired and there was colour added to the building.
  The building consists a storage-auxiliary room of the house-next-door.
  Today it belongs to the family of Stavros Melinis.
  In 1965 it was characterized as a Work of Art and Historical Preserved Monument.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.

Hotel "Theoxenia"

  At the center of Portaria dominates the renowned «Theoxenia», the most luxurious hotel in the Balkans of the prewar era, which before it was ruined during second world war, accomodated many celebrities of that period. Nowadays the municipality organizes cultural activities at «Theoxenia», the garden of which is about to be transformed into a small open theatre.
  The hotel «Theoxenia» opened in the year 1905. It was built in three years by the engineer M. Argiris. Mr K. Athanasakis (the owner) wanted to build an exceptional hotel in the region of the Balkans, which would accomodate in the beautiful villages of Pelion and Portaria mainly businessmen and celebrities from Greece and the Near East, with whom he was aquainted through his business transactions in Egypt.
   In fact the hotel «Theoxenia» functioned on new methods of accomodation with a very high standard of comfort. The 25 rooms offered luxuries and comforts which were unique for that era. On the ground floor was situated the restaurant and the large reception hall where evening parties, accompanied by the «harpsichord» were held almost every night during the summer. The front of the hotel had a spacious garden with alleys along which the guests, but also distinguished residents of Portaria would often take their walk. In the back there was a tennis court and a small fountain where the children could play, and this was also the starting point for excursions on horseback to the summit of Pelion.
  The hotel «Theoxenia» was one of the reasons that Portaria developed tourism, especially after the royal decree of 1920 which qualified the area as a place of exceptional natural beauty, together with Kifissia and Hydra. Amongst the famous groups which met every summer at «Theoxenia» a distinguished place belongs to the «circle of the mountain» who were mainly writers and poets.
  The hotel's history continues until 1940 when it was requisitioned by the Italian command and use as military headquarters. The last blow was in August 1944 when Portaria was bombed and many mansions were burned down. Amongst these was «Theoxenia». Today the ruined walls covered with ivy offer to the visitor an idea of its past splendour.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Portaria URL below, which contains images

The old boat-yard


Nanopoulos School

Tel: +30 24230 49238
  It concerns a representative examble of neoclassical architecture as it was formed in the area of Pelion in the beginning of the century. It is stone-built with a clear stone structure, a central two-storie-building and two ground extentions on the side. Its wooden roof is covered with schist slabs coming from the area nearly. The impressive bulk of the building, the physical colours of its material structure and its carefully constructed details are forming a harmonic group with the physical environment of Mount Pelion.
  It was built in 1909 with the kind offer of Nikolaos Nanopoulos and it initially functionned as an Economic School.
  Repairs of the building took place in 1993.
  On the first floor is situated the Primary School of the village.
  In 1985 it was characterized as a Work of Art by the Ministry of Culture.

Castles, fortresses & fortifications


  Around the middle of the 14th century, because of the continuous pirate raids, the people of Skiathos were forced to set up their city in Kastro, a peninsula on the northern part of the Island, which was a natural fortress. In order to strengthen this fortress they surrounded it with walls full of embrasures and cannons tumed to the land. These were very strong and tall. Communication between the fortress and the land was done by means of a wooden mobile bridge, which joined the fortress gate with the hill that faced it. In case of emergency it was pulled towards the inside part of Kastro and as a result it did not allow enemies to enter. On top of the external gate there was a terrace with the essential "zematistra", (a skillet full of hot water to scald intruders).
   From the time it was built until 1453, Kastro was under Byzantine rule. Later, until 1538 it was under Venetian rule and until 1821 it was under Turkish rule. For a small period around 1660, Kastro went again under Venetian rule. Throughout these years the life of the people was very difficult and at times even hellish since apart from the continuous pirate raids and the aspiring conquerors, the people had to face the problem of limited space in the inside of the castle fortress. Therefore, the houses were small and built very close to each other. Despite this, in Kastro there were more than twenty churches, a mosque without a minaret from the time of the Turkish accupation, and the required water tanks. The Cametary was located outside the city.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains images.


  Bourtzi is a small peninsula which separates the port of Skiathos in two. In the past it was a fort, which was established by the Gizi brothers who occupied Skiathos in 1207. It was surrounded by walls battlements and embrasures and on the left and right of the gate there were two round towers. It is not possible to determine the height of the walls by the present ruins. Moreover, in the fort there was a tank and a small church called Agios Georgios, protector of the Venetians, probably built by the Gizi brothers. Because of that church, Bourtzi was also called "Kastelli tou Agiou Georgiou - Castle of St. George". The fort was destroyed in 1660 when the admiral Fransesco Morozini occupied the island In 1823 though the ruined embrasures, the island inhabitans - both Skiathans and refugees - managed to repulse Topal - pasha.
   After the liberation, the first lazaret of the island operated in Bourtzi. In 1906 a primary school was built in the centre of the peninsula, donated by Andreas Syngros. In the entrance of that school since 1925 there has been the bust of Alexandros Papadiamantis. Nowadays, Bourtzi is really a rare recreation place. It is full of pine trees, always with fresh, cool air and with a magnificent view. There are few ruins of the old fort and we can see, on the left and right of the street leading to the entrance of the old school, the sites of the church of Agios Georgios and of the fort tank.
   The old primary school has been converted into a picturesque cultural centre, with the initiative of the present municipal authorities. In it, there are practical conference rooms in good taste and a faboulous summer theatre which hosts successful theatrical and musical performances every summer. Moreover, in Bourtzi there is a municipal cafe where special nights are held. These fit in with the ambience of the small, full of green peninsula.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains images.

A medieval castle



The cape of Kentavros Chironas


Commercial WebPages


Kouri Forest



St. Marina




The water fountains surpass fifty in number all over Makrinitsa and supplement the town's planning equipment. Many of them are richly decorated with some stone curves.

One more reason for Stagiates to be proud is the abundance of water. A traditional fountain is situated in the central square. This fountain was built during the Turkish occupation and has a stone slab with an engraving made by a Turk, who stated that his sick wife was healed by the crystal water.


Triantaphyllou Mansion


The house of Papadiamantis

  The house where Alexandros Papadiamantis was born on 4th March 1851 does not exist today. It was sold and the new owners put it down. Papadiamantis grew up and died in the new house his father built in 1860, as it is said on a built-in inscription on one of its walls. This house is located about 100 metres inland from the eastern coast of the city, in a narrow street which is a dead-end. It could be said that it is a sidestreet of the present Papadiamanti street. It has two levels with the upper floor (anogi) and the lower floor (katogi). The lower floor is made up of three rooms and a small oblong entrance which leads to these three rooms. On the left, as we enter, there is the winter room with its historical fireplace. This is where Papadiamantis lived his last moments. On the fireplace there were two shelves where all the cups of the house were.
   The smallest room on the right was in the begining a priest's room where Adamantios, Alexandros' father, kept his books and his vestments. Later it belonged to Alexandros and he used it as a bedroom and a study. It was absolutely like a monastery cell with a window, a built-in cupboard and his narrow and small bed. Right opposite the entrance, there is the living-room of the house with a coloured diamond-shaped design on the ceiling as the only decoration. The house is generally a simple, austere island house. Today the old entrance of the house which is on the western side is closed. The entrance side and the visitors enter the house - museum through external wooden stairs.

This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains images.

Local government WebPages

  The road uphill which leads to Volos, passes through the central cobbled square, with a wonderful view and a century old plane tree. On the one side is the church of Aghios Athanasios with exceptional grounds and a marble fountain with crystal clear water. Walking through the cobbled streets of the village you reach Velentzas bakery where you can admire the nine famous mural paintings by the popular artist Theofilos, who passed several years of his life in this area at the beginning of the century.
  Further on is the imposing Chatziargiris mansion, enclosed by a high stone wall and Galiagra Goudelia an old oil press that has been preserved in its original form. Continuing your exploration you will reach the chapels of Aghios Ioannis, Taxiarches and Aghioi Apostoloi. You can admire the marvelous landscape around Aghioi Apostoloi with century old plane trees which cover the whole village, the renowned plane tree forest on the banks of Anavros, the pine-covered hill of Aghios Ioannis (Toumba) where the municipality has planned the landscape aesthetically so as the visitor can relax and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere near the stone fountain.
  You will be impressed by the variety of flowers which are cultivated in contemporary floricultural gardens. You must certainly try the delicious cooking which is served in the taverns and quench your thirst at the traditional municipal fountains which offer abundant running water.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Portaria URL below, which contains images

PORTARIA (Municipal unit) VOLOS

•"Pigi Manas" (a paved square and a pavilion to rest among the planes and the waters).
•"Karavos" Waterfall (a small natural waterfall, where the visitor has the opportunity of spending moments of relaxation and view Portaria from aloft).
•Square "Adamenas" (ideal place for relaxation and recreation, starting point of the "Centaurs' path" that leads to "Pigi Manas").
•Central Square "Melina Merkouri" (surrounded by hotels and taverns; here most cultural activities take place). •Square "Taxiarchon" (the visitor can enter the stone chapel and enjoy the magnificent view over Volos and Pagassitikos' gulf).
•Athanassakio Kindergarten (one of the first in Greece).
•Zoulia Mansion (which operated as a Vocational School for girls, today it is a museum).
•Tsopotio School (nowadays, the elementary school).
•Theoxenia (ruins of the most luxurious hotel in the Balkans of the prewar era, which operated since 1905).
•Panaghia Portarea (Byzantine chapel of the 11th century, what is left from the old monastery, around which Portaria was built; according to certain sources, Portaria took its name from this chapel).
•Panaghitsa - Aghios Symeon (small church of archaeological importance, recently restored).
•Panaghia Odighitria (monastery with 40 nuns).
Restored Mansions
Athanassaki, Despotiko, Katartzi, Naoumidi, Hatziargiri
  The word Pelion brings to mind endless expanses of green pasture and clear, crystalline water. This life giving element actually leaves the visitor ecstatic. The mind and the eyes relax completely, in any part of this area. As a result there are many fountains on this mountain.
   All over Portaria the visitor may see fountains and springs, simple or decorated, some with arches, scattered on the main road or in the narrow cobbled streets.
  Reaching the Municipality of Portaria, in front of the low wall, is the stone fountain which was made in 1965. This fountain is not new, but was transported from the courtyard of Lambrini Dobas house, where it was built in 1861. In the ground of the Town Hall there is yet another exquisite example , made from Propan stones. Further on in the parking area, one more stone fountain. Here the visitor can stop in peace, far from the traffic, to taste the cool water, while he appreciates the sight. Another fountain is near Aghios Nikolaos above the national road this is whitewashed and decorated with small red tiles.
  Going uphill towards Karavos, just before reaching the Devriades pension, the mayor Vassilis Kontorizos built two together, exactly beneath the playground. One more small fountain can be seen at the end of the cobbled street in front of his parental home. Procceding towards the Red Cross, just as you pass the hotel «Portaria», under the big plane tree is one more stone fountain. On the other side, from the Provinical road from Portaria to Makrinitsa is Adamenas fountain. The unique water is from its own spring. Under the plane trees in the ravine, meeting place of many residents of Volos, who come to get water- an excuse I believe- mainly to enjoy the unforgettable landscape. The beauty, the fresh, cool air, the view.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Portaria URL below, which contains images

Old oil-presses

One of the traditional monuments is the Municipal Oil press which has been made into a museum, preserving the traditional way of functioning with all the machinery which was used from the 19th century.

Religious monuments

Monastery of Panagia Kechria

Tel: +30 24270 23333
Fax: +30 24270 23333
  The church of Panagia lies in a lush green valley full of olive and pine trees overlooking the beautiful beach of Kechria. From here begins the uphill path that crosses ravines with old mills and ferns to reach the monastery of Kechria. The monastery, dedicated to the Dormition of Virgin Mary, was founded in the 16th century. Today, all that remains of the erstwhile monastic complex is the katholikon, richly decorated with frescoes on its interior walls. In its preserved form, the church dates back to the 18th century.

Panaghia Portarea

  The chapel is a single space with a wooden roof, and was built in the 16th century on the byzantine cloister of Panaghia Portarea.
  The restoration work which was effected in recent years on the monument showed that part of the low walls from the initial byzantine chapel on the north, south and east side have been preserved, which have the same dimensions as the chapel of the 16th century. This small monastery, as we are informed from relative sources, was older than the monastery of Prodromos Nea Petra, to which it belonged after its foundation. Most probably it was built during the first half of the 13th century.
  The chapel contains 16th century murals.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Municipality of Portaria URL below, which contains image

Squares & gardens

Brani square

A region characterized for its unique natural beauty is "Brani", the square in the entrance of the settlement with the stream, as well as the central square of the village Known as "Pazari" with its water fountain, "the lions", the longed lived platans, the church of S. John, the the amazing view to Volos. Of great beauty is the stream "Mega Rema" at the beginning of the river Krafsidona. In the altitude of Koukourava's neighborhood there are water mills (dristeles), tanneries that flourished in the 19th century and operated until the World War 2.

This text is cited September 2004 from the Community of Makrinitsa URL below, which contains images


Towers at Mavragani & Elliniko




It is located in the site of Karavos. Its sources are in a ten minutes distance from the waterfall.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures