PANTELI (City quarter) LEROS
The Castle is surrounded by three precincts: the interior one is the oldest, built with material, taken by byzantine buildings.
Its shape is polygonal and bears the blazons of Querini (1453) and the Grand Master De Lastic (1437 - 1454). Inside the castle, there are the chapels of St. George with the blazon of the Grand Master D' Amboise (1503 - 1512) and of the Holly Trinity. The castle' s precinct bears also D' Amboise' s blazon with the date 1509.
There are also other ruins inside the castle, as well as the church of the Virgin, built in the place of a byzantine church, during the ottoman occupation.
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!