It is built on a hill on the Via Egnatia, between the ancient cities
of Chrysoupolis (Eiona) and Anaktoroupolis (Oisyme). It is probably dated to the
years of the Palaiologoi.
The tower has two vaulted floors and flat roof. It is surrounded by a small rectangular fortification wall and other buildings. It has two arched gates, higher than ground level, large arched windows and small openings on all sides. The floors communicated with each other by means of a stone stairway.
Extensive consolidation work has been carried out at the monument and the hill around the tower has been protected with a fence.
This text is cited August 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Mehmet Ali was the founder of the Egyptian dynasty.
Built in 1899, it used to be the residence of the German baron Adolf Wix. Nowadays, it belongs to the Municipality of Kavala.
Nowadays it houses the Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities. It was built in 1879 by the tobacco trader d. Tokou.
This is a muslim edifice of the 19th century, which was consructed by Mehmet Ali, the founder of the Egyptian dynasty.
It was built in 1895. It used to be the residence of the Hungarian tobacco trader Pierre Herzog.
It was built in 1909. Nowadays it houses the municipal library.
Built at the end of the 19th cent., it housed the French Consulate.
This is an aqueduct of the 16th century erected by Suleiman the Magnificent.
There is a lighthouse with marvellous view.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!