EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "KALAMATA Town MESSINIA".


Sights (3)

Castles, fortresses & fortifications

The castle of Kalamata

It is situated behind the north part of the church of the Candlemas of our Saviour and it is believed that it's where the Acropolis of the homeric (1580-1120 B.C) and classical Faron (palace of Ortilohos and later Diokles) was. The medieval castle was built by Godefredo Villeardouino in 1205 A.D. and underwent many alterations inconstruction and additions by its subsequent lords; the Byzantines of Mystras, the Turks and the Eneti of Morozini. The entrance is dominated by the lion of St. Mark, a sample of the Eneti era, while in and around the castle have been found ostraka (fragments) and remains of the Mycaenean and Roman years as well as tombs of the hellenistic and roman era. On the north side there is a small byzantine temple and it has been speculated that it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary the Kalomata, after which, according to some, Kalamata was named.

This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


Local government WebPages

Monuments


Buildings

French Institute of Kalamata

  Neoclassical building with three floors. In form it is pedimental at roof height, with pilasters with capitals at the corners.
  It was built in 1833 and served as the 1st Hellenic Gymnasion. In 1960, by decision of the Ministry of Education, it was decreed a historical monument to be preserved. In 1990, it became the Town-hall.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.