Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Sights
for destination: "MITHYMNA
Castles, fortresses & fortifications
Tel: +30 22530 71803
The medieval fortress of Molyvos
is situated on the top of a rocky hill,
in the place of the acropolis of ancient Mithymna.
Built with reddish and brown trachyte, it has the shape of a disporpotioned trapezium with sides of about 70m.
and it is preserved in a relatively good condition.
The exact date of its founding is not known. It was probably built after the
mid-13th century and it obviously belongs to the series of the numerous forts that were
constructed in that period by the Lesbians, in order to render the defense both against the
Turks and the Franks possible. In 1373 it was restored by Francisco Gateluzzo A´.
Additions took place during the period of the Turkish occupation (1462-1912).
Restorations commenced in 1976 and up to 1981 a number of strengthenings,
rebuildings and joint-fillings in parts of the walls took place. In 1993 a crack
in the south bulwark was restored and up to this day consolidation works are carried
out in parts of the fortress that bear signs of damage.
In summers, varied cultural events take place in its inner yard.
The Castle of Molyvos
It was built in the Byzantine era on the ruins of ancient walls, as a defence against raids made by Franks and Turks. It was completed in 1373 by the Genoese Fransisco Gatelouzo. Later the Ottomans extended the fortifications. It is very well built from red and brown trachyte rock, with strong walls and inlaid slabs carrying inscriptions, coats of arms and other marks. The space is divided in several levels. The main gate is made of heavy wood and is covered with metal slabs. The castle stands on the top of a pine-clad hill and is among the best preserved in the Eastern Mediterranean. Today it is used for cultural events.
This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Prefecture of Lesvos URL below, which contains images.
The mansion of Vareltzidena
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.