Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Sights
for wider area of: "ERESSOS
Early Christian Basilica of Saint. Andrew
basilica, now completely ruined. The floors of the narthex and the middle
aisle are covered with interesting mosaics,
decorated with animal figures, floral motives and geometric patterns. A square
space at the south end of the narthex probably gave access to the gallery through
a staircase. Several graves have been uncovered in the eastern part of the basilica,
while a large number of architectural members lie in the south aisle, which is
paved with clay plaques. The apse of an earlier building has come to light to
the SW of the three-sided apse of the basilica.
The basilica was discovered by monks of the Monastery
of Pithario, in the years 1884 and 1885. An inscription on the frame of the
west part of the mosaic floor in the middle aisle, mentions bishop John, who is
identified as the representative of the Lesbians in the Third Ecumenic Synod of
Ephesos, in 431 A.D. This
inscription dates the basilica to the first half of the 5th century.
The monument was excavated in 1928 by A. Orlandos and the site was
later remodelled by S. Charitonides, in 1962. The area was cleared and the mosaics
were restored in 1988. In 1989 the mosaics were covered in order to be protected.
The monument is open to the public.
This text is cited June 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains images.
- Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.