EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 10 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "CHIOS Town NORTH AEGEAN".


Sights (10)

Castles, fortresses & fortifications

Religious monuments

Early Christian basilica of St. Isidore

  The remains of the Early Christian basilica are partly covered today by a later, small church with a low cement roof. In the basilica are preserved mosaic floors decorated with geometric patterns, and many relief architectural parts. Inside the church there is a subterranean vaulted crypt where the relics of Saint Isidore and Saint Myrope (who martyred in Chios during the Early Christian period) were once kept.
  The Early Christian basilica of St. Isidore was built on the remains of an earlier, Roman structure. According to tradition, the church was built in the second half of the 7th century, during the reign of Constantine IV Pogonatos. In the course of its long history, it has undergone several repairs, probably during the Frankish occupation, in the late Byzantine period and in modern times. Five architectural phases - the earliest of which dates to the 5th century - have been distinguished in the building, which was finally ruined by the earthquake of 1881.
  The first excavation research on the site was begun by G. Soteriou in 1918 and continued by A. Orlandos, in 1928. Excavations were also conducted in the summer of 1981 and 1982, by the 3rd Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.

This text is cited June 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Buildings

National Bank of Greece

  Typical sample of late neoclassical architecture, it is a stone-made, three-storied building with an elevated basement and expanded third floor. The interior of the building is also interesting, since it is specially modeled to house the National Bank of Greece in the ground-floor and the residence of its Director on the first floor. The building and the surrounding area has been identified by a 1986 ministerial decree as a work of art.
  The building was constructed in 1926. Due to the increasing needs of the Bank, there have been various interventions from time to time in the interior. The last approval for works was given in 1994 to the architect G. Papazoglou who has also conducted the study.

This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Fountains

Mosques

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.