Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "VERIA Town IMATHIA".
Today the fortification
surrounds the city on the southwest, south, east, and north sides. It follows
the plan of the earlier walls, dated to the 3rd century A.D., which were extensively
reconstructed and reinforced, when the city was endangered by the invasions of
German tribes. Parts of the even earlier, Hellenistic walls, were then included
in the new structure or went out of use.
This fortification of the 3rd century underwent further reconstructions and repairs, during the following centuries. It was rebuilt in 1016 by the Emperor Basil II and was again repaired by the ruler of Epirus, Theodoros Komnenos Doukas, after the liberation of Veroia, at the end of 1214 or the beginning of 1215. Three main gates serve as the starting points of roads connecting Veroia with the other cities of Macedonia.
The Jewish quarter of Barbouta is located outside the walls on the
southwest side of the Byzantine city of Veria. It forms a rough triangle defined
by the river, the Byzantine walls and Merarchias street. It is defended by the
steep river bank to the west, the Byzantine walls to the north, and a protective
wall of houses facing Merarchias street to the east.
The defensive and introvert character of the Jewish quarter is similar to that of the Greek quarters of Veria. An open, semi-public, courtyard was surrounded by houses, which formed a protective wall around it. Access was afforded by a single opening from Merarchias street to the east and a gate from the bridge over the Tripotamos to the southeast.
The houses in the Jewish quarter have certain characteristics that distinguish them from those in other Verian quarters, such as a closed ground floor, fewer roofed balconies (hayati), greater height, rooms and facades organized in a very symmetrical manner, and decorations that suggest baroque influences from abroad.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Greek National Tourism Organization tourist pamphlet (1998).
The monastery of Timios Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist) is the
most important of the monastic settlements ('sketai') in the area around Beroia.
A number of remarkable monks - who were canonised afterwards -- were at one time
members of its community.
The local saint of Beroia, Antonios (nicknamed "crazy for God"), was a monk there in the late 10th century. So, too, were Athanasios, founder in the 14th century of the monastery of the Metamorphosis (Transfiguration) on the Meteora; Grigorios Palamas at the beginning of the 14th century; and Saint Dionysios of Olympos before the mid-16th century. The skull of Clement, a famous 9th century saint and missionary to the Slavs, used to be preserved at this monastery.
Today, following the destruction of the monastery in 1822 during the Greek revolution, almost nothing is left to indicate the former glory of the 'skete'. Only the chapel of the Transfiguration of Christ with its 18th- century wall-paintings survived the destruction intact.
By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!