EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 24 sub titles with search on: Sights for wider area of: "LEFKADA Prefecture IONIAN ISLANDS" .


Sights (24)

Beautiful locations

Gyra

Lefkada is impressive even as it first greets the visitor, as he crosses the narrow strip of dry land and the 50-metre long floating bridge from the coast of Aitoloakarnania. The bridge turns around on itself allowing small boats to pass through the canal of Lefkada. Gyra is one of Lefkada's most important natural beauties. This narrow strip of white sand, 7 kilometres long, which embraces the lagoon on the north of the island, makes the landscape quite special. Gyra begins from the point almost behind the Kastro, creating Ammoglossa ('sand tongue') and reaching as far as the other side, beyond the town. Inside the lagoon is the 'ivari,' where fish are bred in special, traditional wicker baskets and grow within natural conditions. The lagoon of Lefkada is a wonderful wetland inhabited by many and rare species of bird, such as swans, pelicans, herons, wild ducks, wild geese, coots and others.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


NYDRI (Village) LEFKADA

Agias Kyriakis cape

There is a small church dedicated to Agia Kyriaki and built within the rocks, the stele of the Nymphs and the grave of the German archaeologist Dorpfeld, who claimed that Nydri was the homeric Ithaca.


Bridges

The 'Marcous' bridge

The 'Marcous' bridge, a traditional stone bridge with an arch, is also here. It must have been built by the Venetians as it has a Venetian name. It is a charming little bridge located in the midst of thick vegetation and well worth visiting. Another exceptional natural feature in this area are the waterfalls of Akoni, which are of great ecological interest. This natural environment has been praised in the works of Lefkada's two great poets, Aristotelis Valaoritis and Angelos Sikelianos.


Buildings

Town Hall

The building which today houses the Town Hall was built during the period of British rule.


Castles, fortresses & fortifications

EPISKOPI (Village) KALAMOS

The Kastromonastiro

The Kastro of Kalamos, the so-called Castle-Monastery, is near Episkopi. Only sections of its tall, stone walls remain, with their beautiful inner arches which become embrasures for weapons on the outside. Abandonment, earthquakes and the attrition of time have been relentless with the 'kastromonastiro.' Very little is known about this impressive monument today, although the Kastro has now been included in a restoration programme. It is said that the mother of the 1821 fighter Karaiskakis is buried within the castle. On the other side of the island is Porto Leone, a charming, little bay so named by the Venetians who first drew up the maps of the area.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


St. Maura Castle

At the entrance to the island, like a silent fortress and testimony to others eras, stands the castle of Santa Maura. It once embraced the capital and closed off the road for enemies and pirates. The castle was built around 1300 by the Frankish ruler Giovanni Orsini when he was given Lefkada on his marriage to the daughter of the Despot of Epirus, Nikiforos I, as part of the dowry she brought with her. It is one of the most imposing castles of its era and is an excellent example of Medieval fortress architecture. The castle was conquered by the Turks in 1479 who built a large, arched bridge with 360 arches, which cut across the lagoon from the coast to Kalkanis. This bridge supported the pipes of the Turkish aqueduct used to bring water to the castle. The bridge dominated the whole area but was destroyed, however, in the earthquakes. Some traces of its remains can be seen within the lagoon. The various conquerors who passed through have left indelible marks on the castle, which put up a courageous resistance to even the most powerful of earthquakes. The church of Ayia Mavra (Santa Maura) which is inside the castle is fully preserved. The castle is currently undergoing careful restoration work in order to restore it to its original design. On entering the town the visitor is welcomed by the great poets of Lefkada: the park of the poets contains the busts of Aristotelis Valaoritis, Angelos Sikelianos and Lafcadio Hearn as well as that of Kleareti Dipla-Malamou.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Caves

Kakonyftis cave


Papanikolis cave


Daemon cave


SYVROS (Village) LEFKADA

Karoucha cave


Ai-Yiannis cave


Gorges & Ravines

KAVALOS (Settlement) LEFKADA

Gorge of Melissa

With 10 old water mills.


Houses

Lefkadios Hearn house

Behind Saint Spyridon Square is the house which was the birthplace of the scholar and translator Lefkadio Hearn.


Aggelos Sikelianos house

Beside the library is the house where the great poet Aggelos Sikelianos was born.


Local government WebPages

"Koukoulioti" oil press & Windmills

The village of Pigadisanoi is a beautiful village with stone-built houses on the edge of the plain, clambering over a verdant precipitous slope One of the main attractions of the village is the church of the Ayioi Anaryiroi.
  There is an old horse-drawn oil press in the vicinity; known as 'Koukouliotis,' it is still preserved in a good condition.
  There are several windmills and watermills nearby, evidence that the place was always rich in crops. The old folk describe how in the past many of the region's watermills were set out in a row, one below the other, and that they were powered by the same water. All the mills were privately owned. Inside the mill would be the miller's bed, the corner with the fireplace, and his household would always be poor.
  The first windmills most likely appeared at the beginning of the 18th century. Sources collected by the professor of folklore P. Kontomichis show that in 1760 there were already at least 60 windmills throughout the whole of Lefkada. Evidence supplied by older residents suggests that there were over ten in this particular region. The watermill at Anemomylia (which means 'windmill') is the property of the Municipalit of Karya and it will soon be restored with its machinery and sails, adding to the beauty of the local environment.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Religious monuments

St. George Monastery

Near the village, at Bisa, is the Monastery of Ayios Georgios. Its foundation is estimated to have taken place in the late 16th-early 17th century, at any rate not later than 1620. It was never a large monastery but was, however, very rich and with many possessions. The small church has been extended in an easterly direction and was once filled with wall-paintings, very few of which survive today. The local residents say that in 1922 the church was used as a place of isolation for people suffering from smallpox. After the epidemic, in order to disinfect the church, the walls were pounded and whitewashed. A portion of the newer iconostasis of the mid-18th century, with excellent wood-carvings, survives, including two icons, one of the Theotokos (Virgin) and one of Christ. The Archaeological Service has found the remains of ancient towers at Marmara, Pyrgi and Kleismatia.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


APOLPENA (Village) LEFKADA

Church of Panaghia Hodeghetria

   The monument is located in the village of Apolpaina, 2 km. to the south of Leucas. It is a single-aisled, wooden-roofed church, with a three-sided apse at the east, which has a bilobe window. The walls are built with unworked stones but the lower parts and the apse are distinguished by the use of the "cloisonne" masonry (stones enclosed by bricks). The main entrance is in the north wall of the church. Fragments of the wall paintings are preserved on the south and east walls of the interior. The east wall was covered with a monumental representation of the Ascension, which has been removed and is now kept in the Byzantine Museum of Athens.
   The church of Panaghia Hodeghetria was the catholicon (main church) of a monastery. It was built in the middle of the 15th century and is one of the oldest Byzantine monuments on Leucas. According to tradition, in this monastery hermited Helen Palaeologhina, sister of John VIII Palaeologos and mother-in-law of the last duke of Leucas, Leonardos II Tokkos. The iconographic program of the wall paintings in the church is probably connected to her. The frescoes are dated to the middle of the 15th century and are distinguished for the fine workmanship. In the beginning of the 18th century, the church became the metochion (dependence) of the monastery of Saint John Theologos at Karya, and had considerable real estate until 1927, when it was purchased by the Greek state.
   The south wall of the enclosure and its north supporting wall were reconstructed in 1977. The lintel of the gate of the circuit wall and its Byzantine inscription were cleared and restored and the pictorial decoration of the walls was freed of all the recent coatings. Consolidation work of the masonry was carried out in 1960 and 1980.
   The monument is used as a church but opens only on certain days of the year.
   In 1960, the greatest part of the wall paintings, which were painted over, was revealed. Their cleaning was completed in 1969, under the auspices of the Archaeological Society, and 14 fragments were removed and transferred to the conservation workshop of the Byzantine Museum in Athens.


Prophet Elias Monastery

At Spanochori there is a very old monastery dedicated to the Prophet Ilias. From old documents we learn that the church was given, in a dilapidated state, by the Venetian government to the cleric Meletius Vonasieris, who rebuilt the monastery. Under his direction, the small monastery acquired much land and became wealthy. Gradually, however, the bad administration and embezzlement by the later heads led to the monastery's decline. Finally, in 1815, it became public property. Successive fires have destroyed a large part of the monastery.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


VOURNIKAS (Village) LEFKADA

Ayios Ioannis Monastery

  The north section of the region has many interesting natural and cultural features which, even though they have not yet been developed for tourism, are well worth seeing. The dilapidated monastery of Ayios Ioannis can be reached on the route up towards Syvro, five kilometres south of the village of Vournika, at the quiet and peaceful spot of Rodaki from which the whole of the gulf of Vasiliki can be seen.
  This monastery is one of the most interesting on the island and was most likely built in 1654. The church is built over the floor of a large ancient Doric temple most likely dedicated to Demeter, the goddess of agriculture and fertility. For this reason it is said that any childless couple that steps over the threshold of the church and follows the service will then have a child. There are even traces of the ancient temple, such as the Doric column capitals and part of the paved floor. The original church was continuously expanded, the number of monks' cells increased and auxiliary areas built. In the late 18th century the monastery became public property and in 1797 it was given over to the Monastery of Asomatos Vafkeris. The church is in a fairly good condition, within a large precinct. It has two entrances and a separate seating area for women. Sections of the paintings on the east wall of the church are well-preserved and rendered in an exceptional artistic style. The austere figure of the Platytera (the Virgin) can be seen in the apse above the altar. In the prothesis is a painting of the Akra Tapeinosi, followed by Ayios Stefanos and Ayios Romanos. The delicate and elegant technique used in the paintings is still obvious, despite their deteriorated condition.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Squares & gardens

St. Spyridon

The central square of the town. The name is taken from the adjacent church of the same name which dominates the square. Around about there are coffee shops, confectioneries, restaurants.


Viniculture & wineries

KARYA (Small town) LEFKADA

Lambikos Winery

There is also a traditional winery in Karya, the Lambikos winery. Tsipouro is made here from the dregs of the grapes. The Lambikos was a handy device in which double distillation took place so that only the pure tsipouro would remain.


Waterfalls

DIMOSSARI (Settlement) LEFKADA


Wetlands

The lake of Marantochori


Windmills

The island's sights also include the windmills. These are all privately owned, as is the case everywhere else. It is said that one of the windmills has been preserved with its motor intact and it is quite probable that this is the best preserved one in the whole of the Ionian Sea region. It operated until 1949. Another windmill stands tall and imposing on the hill above Kastos and, if it still had all its installations, it would be even more impressive. The windmills are evidence that in the past the residents of the island systematically cultivated the land and that they had substantial produce.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.