Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Sights
for destination: "LEVADIA
Buildings (industrial installations, residences, mills, stables, offices,
storehouses, etc.) that date back to the 19th century and belonged to the British
company Lake Copais Ltd. that had replaced the previous company of French interests
for the drainage of Lake Copais (1867-1887). Today it belongs to Copais Organization
and the City of Aliartos.
The area around Lake Copais was inhabited since the prehistoric times.
Today there have been discovered remains of the lake's drainage systems, the most
extensive technical work project of the Mycenean period (14th century BC) that
is believed to be carried out by the Minyes people of Orchomenos. Excavations
are currently conducted by the 8th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities
The "Lake Copais Co. Ltd" buildings were constructed in Aliartos
of Viotia in the mid-19th century and became property of the Greek state in 1953.
The buildings that housed the headquarters and the residences of the English employees
are spread around on a 28-acres field that is proposed to be transformed into
a model botanical garden which will be also be equipped for outdoors cultural
events. The field is also full of metal cabins that the company's workers used
to reside. By a decree that the Ministry of Culture issued in 1991, they were
identified as historical and preserved buildings.
A vast restoration and development program for selected buildings
started in 1994, based on a study that was proposed by the team of engineers of
the 1st Ephorate of Contemporary and Modern Monuments in cooperation with the
City of Aliartos and the Copais Organization. Today, those buildings serve as
warehouses for the archives' material and "Lake Copais Co. Ltd" machinery.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.