On a rock hill, south of Aliveri, in a conspicuous and fortified place
stands, perhaps, the oldest Frankish castle in Evia.
We do not know much about the medieval history of the castle but there is a legend
that a gold emblem of the Franks lies hidden in the castle and that who ever finds
it will be very fortunate.
In the summer of 1823, the Rizokastro was occupied by the Greeks, led by Kriezotis but in November 1823 it was re-occupied by the Turks.
The strong walls of the enciente (the northern walls are in better condition) are preserved. In the inner fort one can find the impressive ruins of a tall, four-sided tower. There are also the ruins of other buildings as well as cisterns for their water supply.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Prefecture of Evia tourist pamphlet (1997).
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!