EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 43 sub titles with search on: Sights for wider area of: "ACHAIA Prefecture GREECE" .


Sights (43)

Beautiful locations

MONASTIRI (Village) EGIALIA

Evrostina mountain plateau


PATRA (Town) ACHAIA

Dassylio-Municipal Tourist Kiosk

  This pine-clad hill is called the "veranda" of the Patraic Gulf, due to the excellent view that it offers.
  Dassylion (small wood) lends itself for promenades and jogging. It is pleasantly walked, thanks to the special configuration of the paths running along the wood and the cool shadow offered by the very high trees.
  There is a Municipal Tourist Kiosk harmonised with the surroundings from where one can admire Patras, the port, the north coasts of Messologhi up to the Roumeli's Mountains. In the afternoon traffic increases as many are those that go uphill to Dassylion to get a view of Patraic Gulf that turns purple red from the unique colours of the sunset.
  Pines were planted in Dassylion in 1916 by the students of Primary Schools, two Gymnasiums and the Business School under the supervision of the Austrian forester Stegel. Andreas Michalopoulos is the one that had the idea of planting the barren hill.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Patra URL below, which contains image.


RIO (Municipality) PATRA


Bridges

PATRA (Town) ACHAIA


RIO (Port) PATRA


Buildings

PATRA (Town) ACHAIA

Municipality Theater of Apollon

  The building of the municipal theatre "Apollon" was erected in 1872 after plans by the German architect Ernst Ziller. The building is characteristic of the 19th century neoclassical style. It was built as a theatre and it is located in the central square of the city of Patras.
  Conservation work on the theatre has been carried out at intervals.


Achaia Clauss

  On a green-clad hill, eight km SE of Patras' centre, are located the facilities of ACHAIA CLAUSS winery, distinguished as one of the topmost tourist sites of the region.
  Its founder, Bavarian Gustav Clauss arrived in Patras in 1854 to work in a German company dealing with exportation of raisin. During an excursion, he visited this region that charmed him with its natural beauty. He bought a small vineyard just to produce some wine for self-consumption and he ended up to the establishment of this Castle-Winery that survives intact till now. In 1861 he founded ACHAIA CLAUSS Co and the excellent quality wines, including Mavrodaphne of Patras, conquered both Greek and international market.
  The stone-made buildings, the large oaken carved barrels with one century-old Mavrodaphne, the traditional cellar where visitors are welcomed as well as the unique landscape with the breath-taking view attract approximately 200.000 visitors per year.
Open daily for visits from 09.00 to 17.00
Tel: 2610325051-9

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Patra URL below, which contains image.


Municipal Theatre

  "Apollo" Municipal Theatre is located on King George I Square and is considered as the most impressive architectural ornament of Patras, while it is one of the first opera theatres in Europe. It was built on 1872 according to the designs of the German architect Ernst Ziller, with the financial contribution of Patras' merchants.
  It has three rows of boxes and seats dressed with red velvet, gallery and pit. Since its first year of operation, Patras' people had the opportunity to enjoy opera performances of great composers such as Verdi, Apolloni, Puccini, Ricci, Donizetti, Bizet, as well as performances of operettas. Later on, the theatre's stage hosted major Greek theatrical troupes, such as that of Kotopouli, Myrat, Kyveli, Plessas, while during Carnival it has been the venue of dancing parties and masked balls. So, in the 50's it was identified to the organization of famous and unique in Greece "Bourboulia".
  The Municipal Theatre is since 1988 the permanent venue of the Municipal and Regional Theatre of Patras, which stops performing only during Carnival, when tradition imposes the beginning of balls and, of course, the "Bourboulia".
Telephone: 2610273613

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Patra URL below, which contains image.


SELIANA (Village) EGIALIA

Primary School

Photo Album in URL, information in Greek only.


Castles, fortresses & fortifications

ARLA (Village) PATRA

Gyftokastro

(Following URL information in Greek only)


KALAVRYTA (Small town) ACHAIA

Orias Castle


PATRA (Town) ACHAIA

Castle of Patras

Tel: +30 2610 623390, Fax: +30 2610 623005

  The castle of Patras was built in the second half of the 6th century A.D. on the ruins of the ancient Acropolis. In A.D. 805 the inhabitants of the city were besieged in the castle by the Slavs and Saracens and their victory, considered a miracle of the city's patron Saint Andrew, was important for repelling the barbarian invasions in Peloponnese. In the following centuries the castle, which remained continuously in use until the Second World War for the defense of the city, as well as an administrative and military centre, was captured by the Franks, Venetians, Palaiologoi and Turks.
   The castle consists of a triangular outer enclosure reinforced with towers and bastions, which was originally protected by a deep moat and an inner enclosure rising on the NE angle and protected by a moat as well. The building phases distinguishable today on the castle provide evidence for the works carried out by each of its conquerors as repairs and provisions according to the development of military science. The original construction is visible today mainly along the north wall, but remains of it exist on all three sides of the curtain indicating that the original medieval fortification had more or less the same perimeter.


The fortress of Patras

  The fortress of Patras was built during the second half of the 6th century, on top of the ruins of the ancient acropolis. It is situated on a low hill of Panachaikos Mountain, at a distance approximately 800 meters from the coast. Its walls surround an area of about 22725 s.m and is constituted by a triangle outer enclosure, loaded with towers and ramparts, initially protected by a deep moat, and an inside enclosure that raises high in the NE corner and is also surrounded by a moat.
  It was built by Justinian, after the destroying earthquake in 551 using material from buildings of the B.C. era for the defence of the region and its citizens. In the centuries that followed and up to the Second World War, it has been in constant use for the defence of the city, but also as an administrative and military centre.
  During the Byzantine Ages, until the entrance of the Franks (1205) it was besieged by the Slaves, Saracens, Bulgarians, Normands etc, though without any of them achieving to besiege it. In 805 AD the people of the city were besieged in the castle by the Slaves and the Saracens and their victory, attributed to a miracle of the Patron Saint Andrew, was important for the restraint of the barbaric invasions in the Peloponnese.
  The Frank Crusaders developed it, reinforced it and dug a moat all around. In 1278 it was mortgaged to the Latin Archbishop while in 1408 the Pope ceded it for five years against a rental to the Venetians. It remained in the hands of the Latin Archbishop till 1430, when it was set free by Constantine Palaiologos. Constantine moved on to extension and repair of the walls.
  It was slaved, during the Turkish Occupation and it passed in the hands of the Greeks in 1828, after its liberation by the French General Mezon.
  Since 1973 the Castle is under the supervision of the 6th Committee of Byzantine Antiquities. In the dismantling theatre (640 seats) that lies at the interior enclosure, cultural celebrations take place every summer.
  The building phases that are obvious on the castle are evidence of the work that has been made from the various conquerors for its repair and fitting in the development of the fighting technology.
  In a special notch on the wall, it is graved the body and the head of a male statue of the Roman Ages. This disfigured statue gained extraordinary dimensions in the eyes of Patras' people. It became the ghost of the city, "Patrinella". Tradition says that it was a woman disguised into a man during the Turkish Occupation that preserves the city against epidemics and cries in the night, when one famous personality of Patras dies.
Fortress:
Οpen 8.00 am-6.00 pm (except Mondays)
On Sunday: 8.00 am-6.00 pm Free Entrance
Tel 2610623390

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Patra URL below, which contains image.


RIO (Port) PATRA

Fortress of Rion

Tel: +30 2610 990691, Fax: +30 2610 623005

  In 1499 the first fortification of the pass was made by Bayazid II, smaller in area and with a double circuit and moat. In 1532 it was taken by the Spaniards and Andrea Doria, and retaken by the Turks. In 1603 the Knights of Malta wrought significant destruction. In 1687 it was taken by Morosini. Drastic repairs were made and it received the form it has today: new towers - bastions, strengthened ramparts. The fortress was siezed by the Turks in 1715, and in 1828, after a siege, the Turks surrendered it to General Maison.
   It was repaired and handed over to the Greeks. The Fortress was used as a prison for a considerable time. During World War II the Germans established themselves there.

The text is cited from The Hellenic Ministry of Culture & Tourism WebPage


Caves

KASTRIA (Village) KALAVRYTA

Cave of the Lakes at Kastria - Kalavryta

Tel: +30 26920 31633, Fax: +30 26920 31588

  In the village Kastria of Achaia, 60km from Tripoli (tunnel at Artemision) and 9 Km from Kleitoria, lies the famous “Cave of the Lakes”.
  It is a rare creation of Nature. Apart from its labyrinth of corridors, its mysterious galleries and its strange stalactite formations, the “Cave of the Lakes” has something exclusively unique that does not exist in other well known caves. Inside the cave there is a string of cascading lakes forming three different levels that establish its uniqueness in the world.
  The cave is an old subterranean river whose explored length is 1980 meters. In winter when the snow melts, the cave is transformed into a subterranean river with natural waterfalls. In the summer months, part of the cave dries up revealing a lace-work of stone-basins and dams of up to 4 m. in height. The rest of the cave retains water permanently throughout the year in 13 picturesque lakes.
TOURIST ROUTE
  The developed part of the cave is currently 500 meters long. It includes artistic lighting. The visitor enters the cave through an artificial tunnel which leads directly to the second floor. The dimensions of this part of the cavern create awe, rapture, admiration. The passage from lake to lake is possible by small man-made bridges.
PALEONTOLOGICAL INTEREST
  
At the cave’s lower floor, human and animal fossils were found, among which that of a hippopotamus. This part of the cave is intended to become a biological cave laboratory of international standing.
THE CAVE’S LEGEND
  The legend says that the daughters of Proitos, king of Tirynth, Lyssippi, Ifinoy and Ifianassa, bragged that they were more beautiful than the Goddess Hera and scorned the worship of the God Dionysus. Zeus’s mate didn’t forgive their vanity and took their sanity, causing them to believe that they were heifers running wild on the mountains and meadows of Peloponnisos, infecting the women of Argolida with the craze of infanticide. Someday they arrived at the cave of Aroanios were they were found by Melambodas who cured them. He then led them to the village Loussoi.
EXPLORATION - DEVELOPMENT OF THE CAVE
  
In 1965, the residents of the valley of Kastria reached for the first time the second floor, using wooden ladders from a 9 meter ramp. The cave was explored by the E.O.S. (Hellenic Alpine Club) with the help of Prof. I. Melendis and mapped by the E.S.S. (Hellenic Speleological Society) under the supervision of Mrs. Anna Petrochilou. The development of the cave began in 1981 by E.O.T. (Hellenic Tourism Organization) and continued from the former community of Kastria. Today the municipality of Lefkasio is responsible for the cave’s operation and is resided at Kleitoria (Mazeika).


MONASTIRI (Village) EGIALIA

Mavrospilia


PETROCHORI (Village) PATRA

Commercial WebPages

Forests

KALAVRYTA (Small town) ACHAIA

Gorges & Ravines

Voraikos Gorge


Vouraikos gorge

  The trip on the funicular railway resembles a journey in a dream.
  Once the train has left the tranquil, peaceful landscape of Diakofto, it delves into the deep gorge of the Vouraikos river that runs down from Helmos.Before long the little train is clutching the rails with its "teeth".
  The higher you go the better you appreciate nature' s silent work. Enormous rocks, boulders gnawed by time, trees hanging from the mountain slopes call forth awe and admiration.
  The first stop - pause for breath - is at Trekilia for a quick cup of coffee; then on to the village of Zahlorou at an altitude of 642 m.
  This traditional village possesses a rare natural beauty.
  The town of Kalavrita, the third stop on the funicular, is spread out on the slopes of Helmos at an altitude of 750 meters.
  Numerous tall plane trees offer their welcoming shade. They line the streets like an arcade.
  The charming houses, streets, trees all make you feel right at home.
The town exudes tranquillity. Just outside town a Venetian fortress, "the castle of Orea", stands atop a bluff.

This text is cited December 2004 from the West Greece Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains image.


Houses

ELEOCHORI (Village) PATRA

Traditional building of the 19th c. with carved adornments.


PATRA (Town) ACHAIA


Lakes

TSIVLOS (Settlement) EGIALIA

Tsivlos Lake


Links

DIAKOPTO (Small town) EGIALIA

Diakofto - Kalavryta Rack & Adhesion Railway


Local government WebPages

LARISSO (Municipality) PATRA

RIO (Municipality) PATRA

Monuments - Archaeological Sites


Modern Monuments


Beaches


Official pages

ACHAIA (Prefecture) GREECE

  Patra, the capital of Achaia, is an important commercial, financial and cultural centre as its port is Greece's gate to Europe. The city is worth exploring for the imposing church of Aghios Andreas, its medieval castle with a wonderful view all the way to the Roumeli Mountains, and the Ancient Odeon the grandest roman building in the region. The city has an Archaeological Museum, a Municipal Art Gallery, and a Folk Art Museum.
  Patra enjoys a lively cultural life. Among the numerous events organised, two deserve special mention: the carnival, which is the great cultural event of the winter, and the International Festival, which draws thousands of visitors in the summer. Near the present-day village of Araxos is the ancient wall of Dimaion; while in the area of Arla is the wellpreserved medieval castle of Gyftokastro.
  East of Patra stands the famous castle of Rio and further along a beautiful stretch of coast lies Aigio. From the square of Psila Alonia one can admire a spectacular view towards the Gulf of Corinth, and the attractive neo-classic buildings of the architect Tsiller. After the shrine of Panaghia Tripiti (patron saint of Aigio), one can visit the local archaeological and folk museums. In the wider region it is worth taking a look at the monastery of Taxiarchon (try the tempting rose-petal sweet), and the pleasant fir forest.
  From Diakofto the famous small funicular railway climbs up the imposing Vouraikos gorge to Kalavrita.
  Alternatively one can take the road and stop off at the monastery of Megalo Spileo which is built into a cave and dates from 326 AD. The monastery has a miracle icon of the Holy Virgin. A little out of Kalavrita one can visit the memorial site of the World War II massacre of its townsmen, the Castle of Oria, and the monastery of Aghia Lavra where the banner of independence was first raised in 1821. The fully equipped ski centre is only 12 km away and turns the sleepy town of Kalavrita into a cosmopolitan place in the winter. The famous Caves of the Lakes are only 16 km away at Kastria. Well worth a visit are the trout farms at Planitero, a forest of plane trees at the springs of the Aroano river.
  On route 111, after Dafni, is the artificial lake of Ladona and picturesque villages such as Vesini and Dechouni. Pretty traditional villages can also be found in the municipality of Aroania.

This text is cited December 2004 from the West Greece Region General Secretariat URL below, which contains image.


Springs

The springs of the Ladon

They are to the SW of the village with plenty of water that comes from the area of Pheneos.


The spring of the Aroanius

It is under the village. Its water flows into the Mazeiko stream, which in the ancient years was thought to be the River Aroanius.


Squares & gardens

PATRA (Town) ACHAIA

King George's Square

  It is the central square of the city. It used to be called Kalamogdarti, because this is where it was located Kalamogdarti's residence. Its formal name was "Othonos". After 1862, it was called National. But when King George I ascended the throne, the square was named after him. It took its current appearance in 1902, when it was smoothened and planted. It was a place, where national dances and outdoor meetings, mostly of political content were held. It was the square on which all the cafes and the shops were gathered. In 1875 the two fountains were placed which cost 70000dr each. A huge amount of money for the economic potential of Greece and Patras back then. It was the square of the political and cultural being of the city, the place where the most important activities were taking place. In the cafes around the square Italian singers sung. This fact should be a surprise as Patras of the Belle Epoque constituted an important cultural city and its contact with the West was frequent and of high level. We should not neglect that the Opera Concerts were held at the theatre next to the square, the famous "Apollo" Theatre. The contemporary George Square still constitutes the square of political meetings, demonstrations, cultural activities and mostly carnival celebrations.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Patra URL below, which contains image.


Olga's Square

  It is the square that carries the name of king George's wife, Olga. It used to be called Omonoia Square. It is worth referring that on this square, Kostis Palamas used to play as a child, because he used to live just across, on Korinthou street, at the crossing with Kolokotroni street. According to the city planning it was intended to be the market of cereals, but then it was planted with trees and was named "The Queen's Garden". Today, this square is called "National Resistance Square".


Three Allie's Square

  This particular square bears the name of the Three Alliance Forces with Greece in the fight for liberation. These forces were England, France and Russia. This square's old name was Custom Square, because it lied beside the Custom House.


Ipsila Alonia Square

  It is considered to be the best square in Patras. It was a hill, wide on top. There used to be raisin fields, at a higher level in comparison to the raisin plantations. The area from Ipsila Alonia Square up to the St Catherine Cathedral was called "Elliniko", because of the great number of archaeological finds. In 1857 the levelling of the square begun and ended in 1881, while mayor of the city was Benizelos Roufos, after whom it was named then. Before that its name was Arta Square. In 1863 the National Guards took their oath there. In 1883 was constructed a platform for music and were placed 15 crystal torches. On the north side of the square there was a place for sheep to pasture. At the lower part there were butchers' shops. In 1905 the square had 5 cafes that stayed overnight. This is a clue for the plenitude and 24-hour basis entertainment and amusement of the people in Patras. On November the 22nd, 1821, the Turks chased the Greeks up to this square. King George VIII had bought an area of 25 acres at the south side of the square in order to build a mansion. This, of course was never accomplished as the king's son that inherited this land sold it. In 1944, on this square, the German Army of Occupation hanged fighters of the National Resistance. On March the 3rd, 1923, took place the ceremony for the unveiling of the bronze statue of the Metropolitan Palaion Patron German and on March the 23rd, 1953 the reveal of Palamas' bust.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Patra URL below, which contains image.


Markatos Square

  It is about a square almost at the end of Ermou street. In that area there has been a market since antiquity. Markato comes from the Latin word Mercurius (Ermis). This means that this is Ermis Square, the market square. It is possible that it was named after the liberation from the people of Keffalonia and Zakynthos. Though, in order to honour the first governor of Greece, Ioannis Capodistrias, on a decision made by the municipal council, it has been renamed into Kapodistriou Square, and a bust of the governor stood there.


Boud Square

  This square was named after Thomas Voud, who arrived in Patras in 1843 from England, and because of the economic growth of the port, due to the selling of raisin, he was put in temptation and decided to get engaged in this particular business. In 1894, he died, while being consul of England in Patras. He directed the major raisin house of Barf. The area around his mansion was named after him. Now this square has changed its name into Fighters Square of 1821, as a tribute to the fighters of the glorious Independence War.


Marouda Square

  This square carries the name of the family that lived there, Maroudas family. At first, it was called Giannia Square, to honour George Giannias, or Deligiorgi of Giannia. On April, 1821, the Turks attacked Giannia and suggested that he should surrender, but he and his mates denied. In popular songs there is reference in Giannia's feats.


Viniculture & wineries

Achaia Clauss

Tel: +30 2610 580100, Fax: +30 2610 325051

  On a green-clad hill, eight km southeast of Patras' centre, are located the facilities of Achaia Clauss winery, distinguished as one of the topmost tourist sites of the region.
  Its founder, Bavarian Gustav Clauss arrived in Patras in 1854 to work in a German company dealing with exportation of raisin. During an excursion, he visited this region that charmed him with its natural beauty. He bought a small vineyard just to produce some wine for self-consumption and he ended up to the establishment of this Castle-Winery that survives intact till now. In 1861 he founded Achaia Clauss Co and the excellent quality wines, including Mavrodaphne of Patras, conquered both Greek and international market.
  The stone-made buildings, the large oak carved barrels with one century-old Mavrodaphne, the traditional cellar where visitors are welcomed as well as the unique landscape with the breathtaking view attract approximately 200,000 visitors per year.


Wetlands

LARISSO (Municipality) PATRA

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.