Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Sights
for destination: "EPANO ARCHANES
The School at Ano Archanes
An excellent specimen of a specialized building, one of the first structures erected during the period of the Cretan State. It was designed by the architect Salivero, one of Prince George's officials. The plans were completed in 1901 and the construction was accomplished thanks to donations of rich Archanians living in the U.S.A. The building is Pi-shaped in plan, has two storeys and a basement, it is built of stone and its roof is partially wooden and covered with tiles. It is a monumental but well balanced structure with many harmonic and elegant Neoclassical features.
Since its construction, the building has been used as a school. During the German occupation it housed General Muller's division.
The building was repaired by the 7th Ephorate during 1990-1995.
It houses the two Primary Schools of Ano Archanes.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
- Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
On leaving Knossos continue south along the same road. It will curve
up at a large Turkish aqueduct (a reconstruction of the Venetian aqueduct) built
to bring water to Iraklion. Interested visitors may want to see the original Venetian
aqueduct (detour to Fortetsa and Karidaki) or continue and the road will fork
to the right into the town of Arhanes.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Gorges & Ravines
Agios Mammas Gorge
South to the Archanes settlement, rich in flora and fauna.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.