MIKRI EPIKOSPI (Settlement) ARKALOCHORI
In Episkopi there are the impressive remains of the bishopric of Milopotamos. The remains of the church of Agios Ioannis have cruciform architecture that was completed with rooms so that it had the external shape of a parallelogram. The church had five domes, one in the centre and four in each corner. It did not have supporting columns, but the arches went down to the floor directly. On the exterior there were blind arches decorated beautifully with bricks. In the upper part of the church there are two small marble columns with column capitals forming a window with three openings. The church also has traces of frescoes. In 1568 the church was partially renovated by the Venetian Bishop Sorreto and on one of the side doors is the coat of arms of the bishop and the above date.
This text is cited Dec 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
In Mikri Episkopi was the bishopric of Arkadia. The remains of the bishopric church of Sotiras Christos can be seen in the middle of the village. The church has cruciform architecture with a dome in the middle, within the church beautiful columns with column capitals are still in place as well as arches. The church had a narthex which had a dome made of bricks. The church had frescoes which are not visible now. On the side of the church there is a newer aisle.
This extract is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!