Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Sights for wider area of: "PELEKANOS Municipality CHANIA" .
PALEOCHORA (Small town) CHANIA
In Paleohora, the Venetians built a fortress in 1282 and called it Castle Selino, the name of the district today. The pirate Barbarosa destroyed the fort in a raid in 1539 but the outside of the fort is still well-preserved.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains image.
At this location many Venetian maps present the Fort called Selino - Kasteli. The fort was built in 1280-82 and for its favor all the country was renamed from "Orina" to "Selino". The fort was destroyed by the Romans of the Crete in 1332. It was rebuilt in 1334 by the Venetians and under the Fort they founded a new settlement for workers and merchants, that took the name Vourgos. The pirate Barbarosa destroyed the fort in 1539, but later in 1595 Dolf revamped it.
This text is cited Jan 2004 from the Interdynamic S.A. URL below, which contains image
LISSOS (Ancient city) PELEKANOS
Lissos was originally a harbour of Elyros (near Rodovani), became very rich and had gold currency. It was an important city in the Doric, Roman and Byzantine periods.
PRODROMI (Settlement) PELEKANOS
In the village of Prodromi, in the location Skafidia, is the Byzantine church of the Panagia. The north road from Prodromi passes below the church, which can be seen from far away on the side of the mountain. The church of the Panagia has tooth-brick decorations on its east side and frescoes by Ioannis Pagomenos dated 1347.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!