Neraida (1.050 m. altitude) is the most border village of the Prefecture
of Trikala westwards, scrambled on a side of the Eastern Tzoumerka above the Grevenitis
river with unique view to Aspros (Acheloos).
Its tallest crown, Kriakouras (2.100 m. alt.), separates Thessaly
In the old days it was called Grevenoseli. With this name it is reported in a gold bull of the emperor Andronicus Palaiologos the 3rd in 1336, which was found in the temple of the Assumption in Kalampaka and reports that the Bishopric of Stagon had as limit of its jurisdiction westwards, Grevenoseli.
Part of the residents is natives. Most descendants of Sygizis from Goustri Xiromerou, who pogrommed by the Turks, came and lived in this place in the location Kalyvia. The village was transferred in the place that is today before 1850 and its name was taken by the homonym mountain.
Neraida is a village with tourist interest. Places with historical and archaeological importance that someone can visit are: the Monastery of Agia Kyriaki, the stone church of Agios Georgios in the square with the traditional flooring and the ecclesiastical museum in the loft, work of the folkloric architect from Pramanta, Georgios Dafnis, the ruins of the old church of "Theotokos", which no one knows when it has been built. (The elders of the village, who were asked, said that it was a church very old, of immemorial years, monument already from the Ottoman domination, as the embrasures testify).
Interest also present the platan of Glava, in the shadow of which sat and spoke to the Grevenoselites, the big teacher of the Gender Kosmas the Aitolos, Ai Lias that the Germans considered as the base of operations of the fighters against regime and bombard it without however causing damage, the source of Glavas with its abundant waters that supplies the village with water and irrigates the fields, the old - more than two hundred years of life - mill of the church that still works and the bridge of Grevenitis that was built in the beginning of the century. Top cultural event of the residents constitutes the two-day revelry of Agia Paraskevi (26-27 July). For years the Neraidiotes in their majority, try in every way to be in the village for those days, in order to be present at the revelry. Because this revelry that withstanded the passing of the time and the devastating society we live in, has something particular to give them: the genuine way of expression of the sentiments and the experiences of our ancestors, who in difficult years accomplished to turn their thorns into dance, song and creation.
Impressive are the natural beauties of the village. From the top of Kriakouras one can see in the background Ioannina, the lake and Arta. There is a cavern over there that keeps snow in winter and summertime from which, according to the tradition, the Neraidiotes were passing on the sly to Epirus at the period of the Ottoman domination. The plateau Lakkes offers unexpected joy to the wayfarer that heads among the imposing, rocky mountains. It is worthwhile pointing out that in Neraida two magazines are published: The "Grevenoseli" by Kostas Christakis, a clearly cultural magazine for the history, the folklore and the culture of Tzoumerka and the "Glavas", body of Cultural Association of Neraidiotes from where were also drawn most of the elements of this presentation.
The residents of Neraida are neither Vlahoi, nor Sarakatsanaioi; They are locals and speak Greek with tzoumerkan idioms and accent. Neraida was recognized as Community of Grevenoseli in 1912, emanating from the former Municipality of Kothonia. Initially it was consisted of the settlements Grevenoseli (seat), Koryfi or Kaproi, Sklyveno and Abbey of Agia Kyriaki. The settlement of Kaproi was then extracted. In March of 1928 it was renamed into Community of Chlorou and on September of the same year from Chlorou into Community of Neraida.
The village was burned by the Germans in 31/10/1943, fortunately without victims because from the previous day the anabasis of the conquerors became known and the residents left. Five people that did not leave in time fell from the bullets of the enemies. Afterwards a horrible bad weather in 1963 when the village was in danger from landslips and the disastrous earthquake in 1967, a great number of residents abandoned the village and many settled in Volos, Trikala and Arta. The last 15 - 20 years a current of return in the village is observed, particularly during the summer months and so Neraida takes life. Neraida is where many famous stone craftsmen come from. Also, from there many Neraidiotes started who shine in the political, military and social life of the country.
Today Neraida, as Municipal Apartment belongs to the Extended Community of Neraida and constitutes its seat.
Tel: +30 24310 74676
Fax: +30 24310 33457
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!