EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Local governments for wider area of: "LIMNI Small town EVIA" .


Local governments (6)

Municipalities' district offices

KECHRIES (Village) CHALKIDA

Kechries Community

Tel: +30 22270 92400

  Kechries could be characterized as a junction connecting the eastern with the western coasts of Evia, establishing, thus, ideal conditions for anyone who wishes to spend his vacations there, combining the green forests of the village with the freedom of choice among the coasts of Aegean or Evoic Seas.
  Traditions and legends have combined the history of the small fountain, found in the situation where the medieval village, so called Ligdia, and the passing from there of the legendary knight, Erotocritos.
  The area, which during the times of Turkish occupation was a Kara-Ali's estate, was assigned, after the liberation, to the hands of the resolution fighter, Angelos Tombazis. Then, after a decision of the Greek Government in 1925 it was assigned to the landless farmers of the area.
  Similar but at the same time, parallel to the history of Kechries, is also the history of Daphne co-existing with the village of Kechries. It should be noticed that in old times Daphne was called "Mantanika" originated from the word "mantani" probably meaning the high production.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


Kourkouli Community

Tel: +30 22270 92066

  The village, so called Kourkouli, is a traditional mountainous colony. It is situated at the 3rd km over the axis of the central road of Chalkida-Limni and the foot of the mountain, so called "Dry Mountain", in beautiful fully green with pine trees areas, on inclined plane and altimeter of 400 meters.
  It is of panoramic views, when one looks at the horizon of Aegean Sea but also Evoic Bay.
  The village was built by the residents of the colony, so called Skoulari, which was situated at a distance of about 2 kilometers from the today's village to the area of Drymona. Its residents were forced to move because of brigands' and corsairs' invasions. The residents, first, gave the village the name "Neo Skoulari". The Turks, however, changed its name to "Kourkouli" meaning "pursued people". So, this name prevailed and has been kept even until today.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


LIMNI (Small town) EVIA

Limni Community

  Elymnion of the ancient people and Evoic Aeges. A coastal nice small town with traditional elements in a soft creek of northern Evoic Bay, being situated between Chalkida and Edipsos.
  Looking back to mythology we find it in the prehistoric times at the moment when Jupiter first joined Juno and during the historic times it became a place of the gods' worship.
  During the years of colonization it established its own colonies, such as Kleones (and perhaps Elymnio) in the Chalkidiki peninsula of Mount Athos.
  In Roman, Byzantin and Francovenetian times its navigation flourished again and it was attacked by various conquerors.
  In the mid of the 16th century, immigrants from Aegean Sea arrive in Elymnio, as in the same years, in a miraculous way, the ancient icon of The Blessed Virgin Mary the "Lymnian" also arrives here, which came to become the religious palladium of this place.
  With the coincidence of both these events Castral Elymnio moves down to the shore erecting there the today's town of Limni.
  During the years of National Regeneration, it plays the leading part, starting the Evoic Revolution.
In the years of liberation it forms a considerable commercial navy contributing to the whole case of the Greek Navigation.
  In the years of the 2nd World War Occupation it plays again a leading part, bringing forth famous figures of our Panhellenic National Resistance.
  Today, it is a touristically developed town with signs of insular traditional structure, with historical places and convents, rich folkloric tradition, multiple natural beauty and summer cool winds, uninterruptedly caressing the tiled roofs and...whistling its old tales...
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


ROVIES (Village) CHALKIDA

Rovies Community

Tel: +30 22270 71040, 71208

  The ancient place, so called Orovies, mentioned by historians, the existence of which has been concluded by archaeological data, was a significant town of N. Evia, at one side of Evoic Bay, a little westerly of Exomnia (today's Limni) and Homeric Aeges. In the city it is situated the famous Oracle devoted to Apollo the Selinountio, which was thought to be the "most infallible".
  This town was partially destroyed during the earthquakes of 426 B.C. (information provided by Thucidides) and then expanded southerly of surrounding colonies, where the inhabitation has been dated in any period of time.
  In Middle Ages (Byzantin-Francovenetian years) this town had been significant, an historic evidence of that era being its Tower which was built in the times of Villarduines (13th A.B. century).
  Even in the years of Turks' occupation, because of its fertile and cultivable land, Rovies became the administrative center of our greatest area (Nahiyie), as this results from information of the 15th century.
  Early in 20th century the well-known Paleologos' family was assimilated to the life and history of this village.
Today, Rovies is a modern nice town of about 1500 inhabitants situated at the national road Limni-Edipsos (9km from Limni and 29 km from Edipsos Av.) has been well-known for its olive production and a significant number of tourists coming here during the summer months, factors making the town full of life.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


SKEPASTI (Village) CHALKIDA

Skepasti Community

Tel: +30 22270 92240

  It is situated at a distance of only 2 kilometers from Kechria cross, on the road axis to Limni of Evia. The main feature of this village, apart from its rich vegetation is the crystal-like running water, which has turned, on its running, some areas to idyllic ones.
  The village was previously situated at a place, so called Paleochori, which was destroyed by Turks. From that place, the village moved a little northerly of its today's situation and took its name because of the highly dense forest, which was there previously. The first house in Skepasti was built in 1770, while in 1880, the number of its houses was 13.
  Today, Skepasti is distinguished for its traditional households and its hospitable residents.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.


Town-halls

LIMNI (Small town) EVIA

Mantoudi - Limni - Agia Anna Municipality

Tel: +30 22270 31603, Fax: +30 22270 31012

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.