Aulon, a hollow between hills or banks, was the name given to many
such districts, and to places situated in them.
In Mygdonia in Macedonia, situated a day's march from the Chalcidian Arnae. (Thuc. iv. 103.) Leake (Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 170) regards it as simply the name of the pass, through which the waters of the lake Bolbe flow by means of a river into the Strymonic gulf; but it appears to have been also the name of a place in this pass. In later times at all events there was a town called Aulon, since it is mentioned as one of the Macedonian cities restored by Justinian. (De Aedif. iv. 4.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited October 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!