The Classical city has been identified with fortifications on an isolated
hill above the modern town of Klokoto. The walls, of ashlar with some Byzantine
repairs, circle the W and lower of two peaks. The line of the wall runs E along
the saddle but turns S to the plain without enclosing the higher peak. The city
presumably extended into the plain but has left no visible remains.
Pharkadon, Pharkedon; Eth. Pharkedonios. A city of Histiaeotis in Thessaly, situated
to the left of the Peneius, between Pelinnaeum and Atrax. It is probably represented
by the ruins situated upon the slope of the rocky height above Gritziano.
Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)