Oxyneia (Oxuneia), a town of Thessaly, situated on the Ion, a tributary of the
Peneius, and perhaps the capital of the Talares, occupied probably the valley
of Miritza. It is described by Strabo as distant 120 stadia from Azorus. (Strab.
vii. p. 327; Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iv. p. 279.)
Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)