Tsagarada is the second region one comes across when travelling from
Volos. This is one of the most appealing villages of Pelion. It can be reached
through a densely vegetated forest and it offers unforgettable experiences, combining
both the mountain landscape and the splendid blue beaches of the Aegean Sea.
Its history begins in 1500DC and its greatest peak is depicted upon the impressive mansions and its ancient churches that give their name to the boroughs of Agioi Taxiarhes, Agia Paraskevi, Agios Stefanos, Agia Kiriaki and Agios Georgios. The most characteristic of all, is Agioi Taxiarhes having a miracle depicted upon the woodcut iconostasis. At the square that bears the same name, one can see four fountains. There is also Agia Paraskevi, built in 1909. At its square there is the famous thousand-year-old plane tree whose perimeter is about 13m and under it there is the famous arched fountain built in stone. Both Agia Kiriaki and Agios Georgios have characteristic old, stone-built campaniles.
Almost 7Km away there is the magnificent beach of Milopotamos, divided in two by huge, impressive rocks. A little bit more to the north there is Karavostasia, where, as the historian Herodotus narrates, according to myth, Xerxis fleet crashed in AD480. Towards the north, 5,5Km away, one can find the beautiful beach of Fakistra with its emerald waters. At its left, there is Palaiokastro (meaning Old Castle). It is said that right here used to be the village. One can see the remnants of a Castle while not far away, there is the ancient country church of Panagia Megalomata in the rock cave where the "Secret School" used to be.
This text is cited Sep 2002 from an old URL of the Municipality of Mouressi
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!