ALONISSOS (Island) NORTH SPORADES
Halonnesus (Halonnesos: Eth. Halonnesios), an island in the Aegaean sea, lying off the southern extremity of the Magnesian coast in Thessaly. The possession of this island gave rise to a dispute between Philip and the Athenians in B.C. 343, and is the subject of an oration which is included among the works of Demosthenes, but which was ascribed, even by the ancients, to Hegesippus, who was the head of the embassy sent by the Athenians to Philip to demand restitution of Halonnesus. Halonnesus lies between Sciathus and Peparethus, and appears to be the same island as the one called Scopelus (Skopelos) by Ptolemy (iii. 13. § 47) and Hierocles (p. 643, Wessel.), which name the central one of these three islands still bears. Strabo (ix. p. 436) speaks of Sciathus, Halonnesus, and Peparethus without mentioning Scopelus; while in the lists of Ptolemy and Hierocles the names of Sciathus, Scopelus, and Peparethus occur without that of Halonnesus. Halonnesus is also mentioned by Pliny (iv. 12. s. 23), Mela (ii. 7), and Stephanus B. (s. v.); but they do not speak of Scopelus. The modern island of Skopelo is one of the most flourishing in the Aegaean, in consequence of its wines, which it exports in large quantities. (Leake, Norther Greece, vol. iii. p. 111, seq.; Fiedler, Reise durch Griechenland, vol. ii. p. 13, seq.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited September 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
IKOS (Ancient city) ALONISSOS
Icus (Ikos: Eth. Ikios), one of the group of islands off the coast of Magnesia in Thessaly, lay near Peparethus, and was colonised at the same time by the Cnossians of Crete. (Scymn. Chins, 582; Strab. ix. p. 436; Appian, B.C. v. 7.) The fleet of Attalus and the Rhodians sailed past Scyrus to Icus. (Liv. xxxi. 45.) Phanodemus wrote an account of this insignificant island. (Steph. B. s. v.) It is now called Sarakno. (Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 312.)
SKIATHOS (Island) NORTH SPORADES
Sciathus (Skiathos: Eth. Skiathios: Skiatho), a small island in the Aegaean sea, N. of Euboea, and a little E. of the Magnesian coast of Thessaly, is described by Pliny as 15 miles in circumference (iv. 12. s. 23). It is said to have been originally colonised by Pelasgians from Thrace, who were succeeded by Chalcidians from Euboea. (Scymn. Ch. 584.) It possessed two towns, one of which was also called Sciathus, but the name of the other is unknown. (Scylax, p. 23, Hudson; Strab. ix. p, 436; Ptol. iii. 13. § 47.) It is frequently mentioned in the history of the invasion of Greece by Xerxes, since the persian and grecian fleets were stationed near its coasts. (Herod. vii. 176, 179, 182, 183, viii. 7.) it afterwards became one of the subject allies of athens, but was so insignificant that it had to pay only the small tribute of 200 drachmae yearly. (Franz, Elem. Epigr. 52.) the town of sciathus was destroyed by the last philip of macedonia, B.C. 200, to prevent its falling into the hands of Attalus and the Romans. (Liv. xxxi. 28, 45.) In the Mithridatic War it was one of the haunts of pirates. (Appian, Mithr. 29.) It was subsequently given by Antony to the Athenians. (Appian, B.C. v. 7.) Sciathus was celebrated for its wine (Athen, i. p. 30, f.), and for a species of fish found off its coasts and called kestreus. (Athen. i. p. 4, c.; Pollux, vi. 63.) the modern town lies in the se. part of the island, and possesses an excellent harbour. The inhabitants have only been settled here since 1829, previous to which time their town stood in the NE. part of the island upon a rock projecting into the sea, and accessible only upon one side, as more secure against the pirates. Ross says that the new town stands upon the site of the ancient city, but the latter was not the homonymous capital of the island, which occupied the site of the old town in the NE. part of the island, as appears from an inscription found there by Leake. The ancient city in the SE. of the island, upon which the modern town now stands, is probably the second city mentioned by Scylax, but without a name. (Ross, Wanderungen in Griechenland, vol. ii. p. 50; Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 111.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited August 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
SKOPELOS (Island) NORTH SPORADES
Peparethos, Eth. Peparethios. An island in the Aegaean sea, lying off the coast of Thessaly, to the east of Halonnesus. Pliny describes it as 9 miles in circuit, and says that it was formerly called Evoenus (iv. 12. s. 23). It was said to have been colonised by some Cretans under the command of Staphylus. (Scymn. Ch. 579; Hom. Hymn. Apoll. 32.) Peparethus was an island of some importance, as appears from its frequent mention in history, and from its possessing three towns (tripolis, Scylax, p. 23), one of which bore the same name as the island. (Strab. ix. p. 436.) The town suffered from an earthquake in the Peloponnesian War, B.C. 426. (Thuc. iii. 89.) It was attacked by Alexander of Pherae (Diod. xv. 95), and the island was laid waste by Philip, because the inhabitants, at the instigation of the Athenians, had taken; possession of Halonnesus. (Dem. de Cor. p. 248, Epist. Phil. p. 162.) In B.C. 207, Philip sent a garrison to the city of Peparethus, to defend it against the Romans (Liv. xxviii. 5); but he destroyed it in B.C. 200, that it might not fall into the hands of the latter. (Liv. xxxi. 28.) Peparethus; was celebrated in antiquity for its wine (Athen. i, p. 29; Heracl. Pont. Fragm. 13; Plin. xiv. 7. s. 9) and oil. (Ov. Met. vii. 470) Diodes, the earliest Greek historian who wrote upon the foundation of Rome, was a native of Peparethus. Peparethus is now called Khilidhromia, and still produces wine, which finds a good market on the mainland.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
ALONISSOS (Island) NORTH SPORADES
(Halonnesos), and Halonesus (Halonesos). An island of the Aegaean Sea, off the coast of Thessaly, and east of Sciathos and Peparethos, with a town of the same name upon it. The possession of this island occasioned great disputes between Philip and the Athenians: there is a speech on this subject among the extant orations of Demosthenes, but probably written by Hegesippus.
SKIATHOS (Island) NORTH SPORADES
Now Skiatho; a small island in the Aegaean Sea, north of Euboea and east of the Magnesian coast of Thessaly, with a town of the same name upon it. Near it both the Greek and the Persian fleets were stationed at the time of the invasion by Xerxes.
SKIATHOS (Small town) NORTH SPORADES
The city of Skiathos is the only built-up area of the island. It is built on the southeastern tip of the island in a windless bay which separates the island of Bourtzi in two. It is a relatively new settlement, built in 1829 - 1830 on the site of the ancient city, on two hills situated at the edge of the sea. The ancient settlement was built in 800 BC. The large natural port of the modern city is ideal in shape and in location. This has been a basic element in regulating the life on the island both in the old and in the modern times. In the modern city of Skiathos, the houses are small and simple, with two floors in their majority and built amphitheatrically one next to the other. The streets are narrow without any typical planning apart from few parts in the city.
This text is cited Sep 2002 from the Municipality of Skiathos URL below, which contains images.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!