Information about the place OLOSSON (Ancient city) THESSALIA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for destination: "OLOSSON Ancient city THESSALIA".


Information about the place (3)

The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

Olosson

  Chief city of Perrhaebia (Strab. 9.439f), identified with modern Elassona. Located at the N end of a small (5 km N-S, 10 km E-W) isolated plain N of the E Thessalian plain, it is on a crossroad where roads from W and E Macedonia (via the Bouloustana or Sarandaporou pass, and the Stena Petras), from the W Thessalian plain, and from Larissa in the E plain join. It appears in the Iliad (2.739 white Olosson), probably issued Perrhaebian coinage 480-400 and 196-146 B.C. It apparently played a negligible role in history.
  The ancient acropolis was a steep-sided, white clay hill flanked by the deep ravines of the Elassonitikos (ancient Titaresios) and a tributary (Kouradhiaris). On the acropolis is a monastery of the Panaghia Olympiotissa. Some traces of isodomic ancient walls remain N of the monastery, and blocks and inscriptions are built into it. The ancient lower city was in the plain on the right bank of the Titaresios, but only very slight (1924) traces of the city walls remain. Ancient graves have been found on the left bank. Some 4th c. B.C. statuary and Roman grave reliefs have come from the city and its plain. There is a small archaeological collection in Elassona.

T. S. Mackay, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


Perseus Project index

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

Olooson

  Eth. Oloossonios. A town of Perrhaebia in Thessaly, mentioned by Homer, who gives to it the epithet of white, from its white argillaceous soil. In Procopius the name occurs in the corrupt form of Lossonus. It is now called Elassona, and is a place of some importance. It is situated on the edge of a plain near Tempe, and at the foot of a hill, on which there is a large ancient monastery, defended on either side by a deep ravine. The ancient town, or at least the citadel, stood upon this hill, and there are a few fragments of ancient walls, and some foundations behind and around the monastery.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions