EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "STOMIO Village LARISSA" .


Information about the place (5)

General

The St. Demetrios Monastery dates to the 14th century.


Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

EVRYMENES (Ancient city) AGIA

Eurymenae

  Eurumenai (Apoll. Rhod., Steph. B. s. v.); Erumnai, (Strab.): Eth. Eurumenios. A town of Magnesia in Thessaly, situated upon the coast at the foot of Mt. Ossa, between Rhizus and Myrae. (Scylax, p. 25; Strab. ix. p. 443; Liv. xxxix. 25.) Pliny relates that crowns thrown into a fountain at Eurymenae became stones. (Plin. xxxi. 2. s. 20.) Leake supposes the site of Eurymenae to be represented by some ancient remains between Thanatu and Karitza.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


OMOLIO (Ancient city) AGIA

Homole

  A town of Thessaly, situated at the foot of Mt. Homole, and near the edge of the vale of Tempe. Mt. Homole was the part of the chain of Ossa lying between Tempe and the modern village of Karitza. Mt. Homole is sometimes used as synonymous with Ossa. It was celebrated as a favourite haunt of Pan, and as the abode of the Centaurs and the Lapithae. Pausanias describes it as the most fertile mountain in Thessaly, and well supplied with fountains. (Paus. ix. 8. ยง 6; Eurip. Here. Fur. 371; Theocr. Idyll. vii. 104; Virg. Aen. vii. 675; Steph. B. s. v. Omole.) The exact site of the town is uncertain. Both Scylax and Strabo seem to place it on the right bank of the Peneius near the exit of the vale of Tempe, and consequently at some distance from the sea (Scylax, p. 12; Strab. ix. p. 445); but in Apollonius Rhodius and in the Orphic poems Homole is described as situated near the sea-shore, and in Apollonius even another town, Eurymenae, is placed between Homole and Tempe. (Apoll. Rhod. i. 594; Orpheus, Argon. 460.) Eurymenae, how. ever, stood upon the coast more to the south. Leake conjectures that the celebrated convent of St. Demetrius, situated upon the lower part of Mt. Kissavo, stands on the site of Homolium.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities

Homole

Or Homolium (Homolion). A town in Magnesia in Thessaly, at the foot of Mount Ossa, near the Peneus.


The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

Homolion

  It was the city of Magnesia (and Hellas) farthest N, at the borders of Macedonia, situated on the slopes of Ossa where the Peneios emerges from the Tempe gorge (Strab. 9.443; Scylax 33; Steph. Byz. s.v. homolion). It lay on a route to Thessaly from Macedonian Dium (Livy 42.38) and controlled both the E end of the Tempe pass and the N end of a more difficult route which led around the shoulder of Ossa, along the E coast of Magnesia, and back between Ossa and Pelion into the interior of Thessaly. It seems to have been one of the most important Magnesian cities in the 4th c. B.C. With the rest of Magnesia, it was made subject to Macedonia from 352 B.C. It lost importance when Demetrias was founded in 293 B.C., but continued to issue coinage in the 3d c. There are indications it was something of a center of resistance against the power of Demetrias, but it was apparently absorbed into that city in 117 B.C.
  The scanty, rarely visited or described ruins of ancient Homolion lie on the slopes of Ossa just above the Peneios plain, by the modern town of Laspochori, which is just at the edge of the plain. Some of the city walls remain. The acropolis, a rocky ridge ca. 220 m above the plain, is surrounded by a circuit wall of small flat stones laid in more or less regular courses. From the acropolis the remains of the city walls run down towards the plain, just inside and above two parallel ravines.
  The N wall of the city lies a little above the plain. The remains of a cross wall can be seen dividing the lower city not far below the acropolis. Within the acropolis, under a chapel of Haghios Elias, the remains of a temple were excavated in 1911. It had probably been constructed of mudbrick and wood, and was perhaps elliptical, like the temple at Gonnos. There were fragments of archaic terracotta revetment, and some from a later (4th-3d c. B.C.) rebuilding, and some Hellenistic stamped tiles. The temple had apparently had two periboloi; SE of the outer one were the remains of another building. Here was found the right foot (sole ca. 1 m long) of a colossal terracotta statue, possibly of Zeus. The objects from the excavation are in the museum at Volo. By the W wall of the lower city are visible the cavea of the theater hollowed into the hill, and the remains of some other buildings (described in 1910). In the middle of the lower city is a cave with carvings by it. Outside the city to the E of the acropolis are some graves of the Geometric period, and other graves have been discovered in the area. Some Protogeometric and Classical graves have been excavated recently, and a tomb containing some very handsome 4th c. B.C. jewelry (finds in the Volo Museum).
  Outside and to the N of the city walls the modern road from Laspochori to Tempe comes very close to the Peneios about one km W of Laspochori. Here (1911) are the remains of an ancient bridge and above it on a hill called Kokkinokoma, sherds and some marble slabs. On a hill called Dapi Rachi part of a wall of large stones, perhaps of the 4th c. B.C., was discovered in 1961. The territory of Homolion seems to have adjoined that of Gonnos to the W (cf. Hiller von Gaertringen) and apparently extended N of the Peneios, since a sales contract (stele, now in Volo) of the 3d-2d c. B.C. found near modern Pyrgeto (on the lowest slopes of Olympos just W of the Peneios plain) indicated that the city of Homolion had purchased land in that area (see Arvanitopoullos in RevPhil)

T. S. Mackay, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.