EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for destination: "SERIFOS Village SERIFOS".


Information about the place (1)

Ministry of Culture WebPages

Traditional settlement of Serifos

  In 1207 Siphnos was under the jurisdiction of the Duchy of Naxos. Later, after vicissituses of various sorts, it came under the more stable sway of the Catalan family Da Coronia in 1307.
  The settlement in the fortress (castro) of Siphnos is elipsidal in form because it follows the morphology of the land. It is defensive in character and still preserves the form of its mediaeval defensive system.
  Two defense circuits along the western side are visible and on the outer line there are a considerable number of single houses. The Latin cathedral is in the centre and preserved nearby is the stele with the 14th century inscription of Giannoule da Coronia.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.