gtp logo

Location information

Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Information about the place  for wider area of: "KASSOS Municipality DODEKANISSOS" .


Information about the place (5)

Commercial WebPages

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

Casus

  Casus (Kasos: Eth. Kasios), an island between Carpathus and Crete, is, according to Strabo, 70 stadia from Carpathus, 250 from Cape Sammonium in Crete, and is itself 80 stadia in circumference. (Strab. x. p. 489.) Pliny (iv. 12. s. 23) makes it 7 M. P. from Carpathus, and 30 M. P. from Sammonium. It is mentioned by Homer (Il. ii. 676). It is said to have been formerly called Amphe (Achne) and Astrabe; and it was supposed in antiquity that the name of Mt. Casium in Syria was derived from this island. (Steph. B. s. vv. Kasos, Kasion Plin. v. 31. s. 36.)
  Casus has been visited by Ross, who describes it as consisting of a single ridge of mountains of considerable height. On the N. and W. sides there are several rocks and small islands, which Strabo calls at Kasion nesoi. Ross found the remains of the ancient town, which was also called Casus, in the interior of the island, at the village of Polin (a diminutive instead of Polion or Polidion). The ancient port-town was at Emporeion, where Ross also discovered some ancient remains: among others, ruins of sepulchral chambers, partly built in the earth. He found no autonomous coins, since the island was probably always dependent either upon Cos or Rhodes. In the southern part of the island there is a small and fertile plain surrounded by mountains, called Argos, a name which it has retained from the most ancient times. We find also an Argos in Calymna and Nisyrus. Before the Greek revolution, Casus contained a population of 7500 souls; and though during the war with the Turks it was at one time almost deserted, its population now amounts to 5000. Its inhabitants possessed, in 1843, as many as 75 large merchant vessels, and a great part of the commerce of the Christian subjects in Turkey was in their hands. (Ross, Reisen in den Griech. Inseln, vol. iii. p. 32, seq.)

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited August 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Individuals' pages

The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

Kassos

  An island in the S Aegean near Karpathos, cited in the Iliad (2.676) among the participants in the Trojan War. In historic times a Doric dialect was spoken there; and Kassos appeared in the tribute lists of the Delio-Attic League. During the 3d c. it came under the domination of Rhodes. Several villages now occupy the site of the ancient city of Kassos (Strab. 10.5.18); near one of them, Poli, are remnants of walls and of necropoleis with burials indicated by inscribed lenticular discs, mainly from the 4th and 3d c. B.C. Near Haghia Marina the mouth of a grotto, Ellinokamara, is closed by a wall of isodomic blocks with two gates. The grotto has yielded ceramics of various periods, including the Mycenaean.

M. G. Picozzi, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


Travel Agents WebPages

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures

ΕΣΠΑ

Promotions