A town in the north of Messenia, which was the residence of the Dorian kings of the country.
Stenuklaros, Stenukleros: Eth. Stenuklerios. A town in the north of Messenia, and the capital of the Dorian conquerors, built by Cresphontes. Andania had been the ancient capital of the country. (Paus. iv. 3. § 7; Strab. vii. p. 361.) The town afterwards ceased to exist, but its name was given to the northern of the two Messenian plains. (Paus. iv. 33. § 4, iv. 15. § 8: Herod. ix. 64.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!