An island off shore from the Bay of Navarino. It belonged to Sparta after the second Messenian war. In 425 B.C. during the Peloponnesian war it was the site of the famous battle that ended with the Athenian capture of 400 Spartans who had landed on the island. The remains of the ancient fort in which the Spartans sought refuge (Thuc. 4.31.2), on the mountain of Haghios Elias in the N section of the island, which have been visited and described by many scholars, are no longer easily recognizable. They were destroyed by military installations during WW II.
M. G. Picozzi, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains 7 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
It is located in the west part of the bay of Navarino and blocks it from the Ionian Sea. It is a historic place and has been connected with the great victory of Athenians over the Staptans during the Peloponnesean War in 425 B.C. under the guidance of general Demosthenes who forced the garrison of the island to surrender after being besieged by the navy for 72 days. In memory of this victory the sculptor Paeonios created the magnificent statue of the «Victory of Paeonios». Greeks and Philhellenes, during the Revolution of 1821, met a tragic death fighting against Ibrahem Pasha in May 1825 when he came from Egypt to help Turks suppress the Greek Revolution.
This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!