Androusa is a small town between contemporary Messini and the ancient
one, built on the highlands, with a view of the Messinian valley.
It was founded by Goulielmo Villeardouino and constituted a base for the Hegemony and the Courts of justice, as well as a recreation area for the Frank Knights during the domination by the Franks(1205-1430).
In the mid 13th century Villeardouinos built its castle, remnants of which are still found today, which was abandoned during the period of the Second Turkish rule(1715-1821).In 1308 it became the base of the Episcopal with the Decree of Patriarch Athanasios (1304-1310) who was from Androusa. It developed as a big agricultural centre passing from the Franks to the Navarrae and from the Byzantines to the Turks and constituted one of the 24 provinces of Morea. During the Turkish rule, many Greeks from Androusa became guerrillas, fighting for freedom, while the bishop of Androusa, Joseph, became the first Minister of Education and Religion of the newly established Greek Country after the Revolution of 1821.
Today it is a honorary municipality and constitutes an agricultural centre for the area where oil, figs, raisins and wine are widely produced. The Byzantine monuments of the area, like the byzantine castle, the Monastery (for men) and the church of St. Samarina, as well as the ancient reservoir which are an example of its historical passage through the byzantine years, are an attraction for many visitors every year.
This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!