We locate Andania between the villages Konstantini, Polichni and Kalliroi. (Ekd. Athinon, Pausaniou Periegissis, vol. 3, p. 45, note 1). There are some co-ordinates, but the location of the town is only thought possible.
Eth. Andanieus, Andanios. An ancient town of Messenia, and the capital of the kings of the race of the Leleges. It was celebrated as the birthplace of Aristomenes, but towards the end of the second Messenian war it was deserted by its inhabitants, who took refuge in the strong fortress of Ira. From this time it was only a village. Livy describes it as a parvum oppidum, and Pausanias saw only its ruins. It was situated on the road leading from Messene to Megalopolis. Its ruins, according to Leake, are now called Ellinikokastro, and are situated upon a height near the village of Fyla or Filia. The Homeric Oechalia is identified by Strabo with Andania, but by Pausanias with Carnasium, which was only 8 stadia from Andania.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!