Information about the place ITYLO (Municipality) LACONIA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 19 sub titles with search on: Information about the place  for wider area of: "ITYLO Municipality LACONIA" .


Information about the place (19)

Commercial WebPages

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

Hippola

IPPOLA (Ancient city) ITYLO
  Eth. Hippolaites, fern Hippolaitis. A town of Laconia, a little north-west of the promontory of Taenarum, in ruins in the time of Pausanias. It contained a temple of Athena Hippolaitis. It stood either at Kipula, which is apparently a corruption of the ancient name, or at the ruins called kastron tes horaias on the highest point of the peninsula of Kavo Grosso.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Oetylus

ITYLOS (Ancient city) LACONIA
  Oitulos, Beitulos, Bitula, (kaleitai d hupo tinon Beitulos, Strab. viii). A town of Laconia on the eastern side of the Messenian gulf, represented by the modern town of Vitylo, which has borrowed its name from it. Pausanias says that it was 80 stadia from Thalamae and 150 from Messa; the latter distance is too great, but there is no doubt of the identity of Oetylus and Vitylo; and it appears that Pausanias made a mistake in the names, as the distance between Oetylus and Caenepolis is 150 stadia. Oetylus is mentioned by Homer, and was at a later time one of the Eleuthero-Laconian towns. It was still governed by its ephors in the third century of the Christian era. Pausanias saw at Oetylus a temple of Sarapis, and a wooden statue of Apollo Carneius in the agora. Among the modern houses of Vitylo there are remains of Hellenic walls, and in the church a beautiful fluted Ionic column supporting a beam at one end of the aisle, and three or four Ionic capitals in the wall of the church, probably the remains of the temple of Sarapis.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Taenarum

KENI POLIS (Ancient city) ITYLO
  At the distance of 40 stadia, or 5 English miles, north of the isthmus of the Taenarian peninsula, was the town Taenabum or Taenaus, subsequently called Caenepolis (Kainepolis, Paus. iii. 25. § 9; Kaine, Ptol. iii. 16. § 9; Plin. iv. 15. s. 16; Steph. B. s. v. Tainaros; the same town is probably mentioned by Strab. viii. p. 360, under the corrupt form Kinaidion.) It contained a temple of Demeter and another of Aphrodite, the latter near the sea. The modern village of Kyparisso stands on the site of this town. Some ancient remains and inscriptions of the time of the Antonines and their successors have been found here. On the door-posts of a small ruined church are two inscribed quadrangular stelai, decorated with mouldings above and below. One of the inscriptions is a decree of the Taenarii, and the other is by the community of the Eleuthero-Lacones (to koinon ton Eleutherolakonon). We have the testimony of Pausanias (iii. 21. § 7) that Caenepolis was one of the Eleuthero-Laconian cities; and it would appear from the above-mentioned inscription that the maritime Laconians, when they were delivered from the Spartan yoke, formed a confederation and founded as their capital a city in the neighbourhood of the revered sanctuary of Poseidon. The place was called the New Town (Caenepolis); but, as we learn from the inscriptions, it continued to be also called by its ancient name.

This extract is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Messa

MESSI (Ancient city) ITYLO
  One of the nine cities of Laconia enumerated by Homer, who gives it the epithet of polutreron, abounding in pigeons (Il. ii. 502). Strabo says that the position of Messa was unknown, (viii. p. 364); but Pausanias mentions a town and harbour, named Messa (iii. 25. § 9), which is identified by most modern scholars with the Homeric town. This Messa, now Mezapo, is situated on the western coast of Mani, between Hippola and Oetylus; and the cliffs in the neighbourhood are said to abound in wild pigeons. (Leake, Morea, vol. i. p. 286; Boblaye, Recherches, &c. p. 91; Curtius, Peloponnesos, vol. ii. p. 282.) Leake, however, has subsequently conjectured that Messa corresponds to Mistra in the Spartan plain, partly on account of its site, and partly because the Messa of Pausanias could never, from its situation, have been a place of much importance. (Peloponnesiaca, p. 357.) But there does not appear any sufficient reason for rejecting the identity of the Messa of Pausanias with the Messe of Homer.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities

Oetylus

ITYLOS (Ancient city) LACONIA
(Oitulos), also Tylus (Tulos). An ancient town in Laconia on the Messenian Gulf.

Caene, Caenepolis

KENI POLIS (Ancient city) ITYLO
A town near the promontory of Taenarus; its previous name was Taenarum.

Messa

MESSI (Ancient city) ITYLO
A town and harbour in Laconia, near Cape Taenarum.

Local government Web-Sites

Municipality of Itylo

ITYLO (Municipality) LACONIA

Local government WebPages

Non-profit organizations WebPages

DIROS (Village) LACONIA

LIMENI (Settlement) ITYLO
Limeni is Near Areopolis, a gorgeous bay with blue green waters.The picturesque fisherman's village, unaffected by the passage of time, consists of one of the most beautiful villages of Mani and makes us suppose that it might be like one of the biggest dens of the Southern Peloponnese.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains images.


Perseus Project index

The Catholic Encyclopedia

Taenarum

KENI POLIS (Ancient city) ITYLO
  A titular see in Greece, suffragan of Corinth.
  Taenarum, or Taenarus, was situated five English miles north of Cape Taenarum, now Cape Matapan. It contained a temple of Demeter, also one of Aphrodite.
  It is today the village of Kyparrisos. After their freedom from the Spartan yoke, the maritime Laconians formed a confederation, and founded a capital, called Caenepolis, i. e. new town. From inscriptions we learn that this new city was really Taenarum, which still preserved its old name. However, there may have been two distinct cities, in close proximity.

S. Petrides, ed.
Transcribed by: Douglas J. Potter
This extract is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions