EGYS (Ancient city) PELANA
Aigns: Eth. Aignhates, (Paus.); Aignen (Theopomp. ap. Steph. B. s. v.) A town of Laconia, on the frontiers of Arcadia, originally belonged to the Arcadians, but was conquered at an early period by Charilaus, the reputed nephew of Lycurgus, and annexed to Laconia. Its territory, called Aegetis (Aientis), appears to have been originally of some extent, and to have included all the villages in the districts of Maleatis and Cromitis. Even at the time of the foundation of Megalopolis, the inhabitants of these Arcadian districts, comprising Scirtonium, Malea, Cromi, Belbina, and Leuctrum, continued to be called Aegytae. The position of Aegys is uncertain. Leake places it at Kamara, near the sources of the river Xerilo, the ancient Carnion.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
KARYSTOS (Ancient city) PELANA
Karustos: Eth. Karustios. A town in Laconia, in the district Aegytis, near the frontiers of Laconia. Its wine was celebrated by the poet Alcman. Leake supposes that Carystus stood at the Kalyvia of Ghiorghitzi.
PELLANA (Mycenean settlement) PELANA
he Pellana, ta Pellana, Pellene. A town of Laconia, on the Eurotas, and on the road from Sparta to Arcadia. It was said to have been the residence of Tyndareos, when he was expelled from Sparta, and was subsequently the frontier-fortress of Sparta on the Eurotas, as Sellasia was on the Oenus. Polybius describes it (iv. 81) as one of the cities of the Laconian Tripolis, the other two being probably Carystus and Belemina. It had ceased to be a town in the time of Pausanias, but he noticed there a temple of Asclepius, and two fountains, named Pellanis and Lanceia. Below Pellana, was the Characoma (Charakoma), a fortification or wall in the narrow part of the valley; and near the town was the ditch, which according to the law of Agis, was to separate the lots of the Spartans from those of the Perioeci. (Plut. Agis, 8) Pausanias says that Pellana was 100 stadia from Belemina; but he does not specify its distance from Sparta, nor on which bank of the river it stood. It was probably on the left bank of the river at Mt. Burlia, which is distant 55 stadia from Sparta, and 100 from Mt. Khelmos, the site of Belemina. Mt. Burlia has two peaked summits, on each of which stands a chapel; and the bank of the river, which is only separated from the mountain by a narrow meadow, is supported for the length of 200 yards by an Hellenic wall. Some copious sources issue from the foot of the rocks, and from a stream which joins the river at the southern end of the meadow, where the wall ends. There are still traces of an aqueduct, which appears to have carried the waters of these fountains to Sparta. The acropolis of Pellana may have occupied one of the summits of the mountain, but there are no traces of antiquity in either of the chapels.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Often called Pellana, a town in Lucania on the Eurotas, northwest of Sparta.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!