EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 19 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "GYTHIO Town LACONIA" .


Information about the place (19)

Commercial WebPages

KARVELAS (Village) GYTHIO

KRANAI (Island) GYTHIO

Commercial WebSites

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

EGIES (Ancient city) GYTHIO

Aegiae

  Aegaeae (Aighiai, Paus. iii. 21. § 5; Haigaial, Strab. p. 364: Limni). A town of Laconia, at the distance of 30 stadia from Gythium, supposed to be the same as the Homeric Augeiae. (Angelhai, Il. ii. 583; comp. Steph. B. s. v.) It possessed a temple and lake of Neptune. Its site is placed by the French Commission at Limni, so called from an extensive marsh in the valley of the eastern branch of the river of Passava.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


GYTHION (Ancient city) LACONIA

Gythium

  Guthion, Gythium, Gutheion, Gytheum, Eth. Gutheates. An ancient Achaean town in Laconia, situated near the head of the Laconian gulf, south-west of the mouth of the Eurotas, at the distance of 240 stadia from Sparta according to Strabo, and 30 Roman miles according to the Table. This distance agrees with the 43 kilometres which the French commission found to be the distance by the road from the ruins of Gythium to the theatre of Sparta. In Polybius Gythium is said to be 30 stadia from Sparta; but this number is evidently corrupt. and for peri triakonta we ought to read with Muller peri triakosia. (Polyb. v. 19.) Gythium stood upon the small stream Gythius (Mela, ii. 3), in a fertile and well-cultivated plain. (Polyb. v. 19.) Its cheeses are celebrated in one of Lucian's dialogues. (Dial. Meretsr. 14.) After the Dorian conquest it became the chief maritime town in Laconia, and was therefore regarded as the port of Sparta. It was also the ordinary station of their ships of war. Accordingly, when war broke out between Athens and Sparta, Gythium was one of the first places which the Athenians attacked with their superior fleet; and in B.C. 455 it was burnt by Tolmidas, the Athenian commander. (Thuc. i. 102; Diod. xi. 84.) On the invasion of Laconia by Epaminondas in B.C. 370, after the battle of Leuctra, he advanced as far south as Gythium, but was unable to take it, though he laid siege to it for three days. (Xen. Hell. vi. 5. 32) Even then it must have been well fortified, but its fortifications appear to have been still further increased by the tyrant Nabis; and when it was taken by the Romans in 195 it is described by Livy as valida urbs, et multitudine civium incolarumque et omni bellico apparatu instructa (xxxiv. 29). Augustus made it one of the Eleuthero-Laconian towns; and under the Roman empire it again became a place of importance, as is shown by its ruins, which belong almost exclusively to the Roman period. Its port, according to the information received by Strabo, was artificial (echei d, hos phasi, to naustathmon orukton, Strab. viii).
  Pausanias saw in the market-place of Gythium statues of Apollo and Hercules, who were reputed to be the founders of the city; near them a statue of Dionysus; and on the other side of the market-place a statue of Apollo Carneius, a temple of Ammon, a brazen statue of Asclepius, the temple of which had no roof, a fountain sacred to this god, a sanctuary of Demeter, and a statue of Poseidon Gaeaochus. A fountain still flowing between the shore and the Acropolis seems to have been the above-mentioned fountain of Asclepius, and thus indicates the site of the Agora. On the Acropolis was a temple of Athena; and the gates of Castor mentioned by Pausanias appear to have led from the lower city to the citadel. (Paus. iii. 21. § § 8, 9.) Opposite Gythium was the island Crania, whither Paris was said to have carried off Helen from Sparta.
  The coast on the mainland south of Gythium was said to have derived its name of Migonium (Milonion from the union of Paris and Helen on the opposite island. On this coast was a temple of Aphrodite Migonitis. and above it a mountain sacred to Dionysus called Larysium (Larusion), where a festival was celebrated to this god in the beginning of spring. (Paus. iii. 22. § 1.) Pausanias further describes, at the distance of three stadia from Gythium, a stone on which Orestes is said to have been relieved from his madness. This stone was called Zeus (according to Sylburg, leus) kappotas, i. e. katapautes, the Reliever. The town Marathonisi, which was built at the beginning of the present century, and is the chief port of the district Mani, occupies the site of Migonium; and the hill above it, called Kumaro, is the ancient Larysium. The remains of Gythium, called Paleopoli, are situated a little north of Marathonisi. They lie upon the slope of some small hills, and in the plain between them and the sea. These remains, which are considerable, belong chiefly to the Roman period, as has been already stated. Near the edge of the shore are the remains of two large buildings, probably Roman baths, consisting of several small rooms and divisions. The foundations of buildings may also be seen under water. Ninety yards inland from the shore, on the slope of the larger hill, are the remains of the theatre, built of white marble. Some of the marble seats still remain in their places, but most of them have disappeared, as the space enclosed by the theatre has been converted into a vineyard. The diameter appears to have been about 150 feet. From 50 to 100 feet from the theatre, in a slight hollow between the hills, are the ruins of a Roman building of considerable size. The Acropolis was on the top of the hill above the theatre, but of its walls there are only a few fragments. All round the town, and especially on the hills, are twenty or thirty ruins of small buildings of tiles and mortar, in the Roman style, containing niches in the walls. These were Roman sepulchres: one of them was excavated by Ross, who found there some sepulchral lamps.
  On the left of the road from Paleodpoli to Marathonisi is an inscription on the rock, which has not yet been deciphered; and close to it, hewn in the rock, is a chair with a foot-step, which appears to be the spot where Orestes was said to have been relieved from his madness. Most of the inscriptions found at Palepoli are of the Roman period.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


KRANAI (Island) GYTHIO

Cranae

  Cranae (Kranae), an island in the Laconian gulf, opposite Gytheium, whither Paris carried off Helen from Sparta. This little island, now called Marathonisi, is described by a modern traveller as low and flat, and at the distance of only 100 yards from the shore. The ruined foundation of a temple supports at present a Greek chapel. (Hom. Il. iii. 442; Paus. iii. 22. § 1; Walpole's Memoirs, vol. i. p. 58.)


LAS (Ancient city) GYTHIO

Las

  La, Eth. Laos. One of the most ancient towns of Laconia, situated upon the western coast of the Laconian gulf. It is the only town on the coast mentioned by Scylax between Taenarus and Gythium. Scylax speaks of its port; but, according to Pausanias, the town itself was distant 10 stadia from the sea, and 40 stadia from Gythium. (Paus. iii. 24. § 6.) In the time of Pausanias the town lay in a hollow between the three mountains, Asia, Ilium, and Cnacadium; but the old town stood on the summit of Mt. Asia. The name of Las signified the rock on which it originally stood. It is mentioned by Homer (Il. ii. 585), and is said to have been destroyed by the Dioscuri, who hence derived the surname of Lapersae. (Strab. viii.; Steph. B. s. v. La.) There was also a mountain in Laconia called Lapersa. (Steph. B. s. v. Lapersa.) In the later period it was a place of no importance. Livy speaks of it as vicus maritimus (xxxviii. 30), and Pausanias mentions the ruins of the city on Mt. Asia. Before the walls he saw a statue of Hercules, and a trophy erected over the Macedonians who were a part of Philip's army when he invaded Laconia; and among the ruins he noticed a statue of Athena Asia. The modern town was near a fountain called Galaco (Talako), from the milky colour of its water, and near it was a gymnasium, in which stood an ancient statue of Hermes. Besides the ruins of the old town on Mt. Asia, there were also buildings on the two other mountains mentioned above: on Mt. Ilium stood a temple of Dionysus, and on the summit a temple of Asclepius; and on Mt. Cnacadium a temple of Apollo Carneius.
  Las is spoken of by Polybius (v. 19) and Strabo under the name of Asine; and hence it has been supposed that some of the fugitives from Asine in Argolis may have settled at Las, and given their name to the town. But, notwithstanding the statement of Polybius, from whom Strabo probably copied, we have given reasons elsewhere for believing that there was no Laconian town called Asine; and that the mistake probably arose from confounding Asine with Asia, on which Las originally stood.
  Las stood upon the hill of Passava, which is now crowned by the ruins of a fortress of the middle ages, among which, however, Leake noticed, at the southern end of the eastern wall, a piece of Hellenic wall, about 50 paces in length, and two-thirds of the height of the modern wall. It is formed of polygonal blocks of stone, some four feet long and three broad. The fountain Galaco is the stream Turkovrysa, which rises between the hill of Passava and the village of Karvela, the latter being one mile and a half west of Passava.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


TRINASSOS (Ancient city) GYTHIO

Trinasus

  Trinasos, Trinassos. A town or rather fortress of Laconia, situated upon a promontory near the head of the Laconian gulf, and 30 stadia above Gythium. It is opposite to three small rocks, which gave their name to the place. The modern village is for the same reason still called Trinisa (Ta Trinesa). There are considerable remains of the ancient walls. The place was built in a semi-circular form, and was not more than 400 or 500 yards in circuit.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities

GYTHION (Ancient city) LACONIA

Gythium

An ancient seaport town of Laconia, situated near the head of the Laconian Gulf, southwest of the mouth of the river Eurotas. In the Second Persian War, the Spartan fleet was stationed here, and here the Athenians under Tolmides burned the Spartan arsenal in B.C. 455.


KRANAI (Island) GYTHIO

Cranae

Kranae. The island to which Paris first carried Helen from Peloponnesus. Its locality is uncertain, but some identify it with Cythera.


LAS (Ancient city) GYTHIO

Las

An ancient town of Laconia, on the east side of the Laconian Gulf, ten stadia from the sea, and south of Gytheum ( Thuc.viii. 91).


Non-profit organizations WebPages


KRANAI (Island) GYTHIO

Paris stayed here with the Beautiful Helen. The Phonenicians set up a work shop for the elaboration of porphyra. Janetakis Tower, the tower of the famous family of the Gregorakedes, is in the middle of the islet ( It houses the Historical and Ethnological museum of Mani). The islet in 1898 was linked with the mainland by a platform.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains image.


Perseus Project

EGIES (Ancient city) GYTHIO

Perseus Project index

GYTHION (Ancient city) LACONIA

Present location

EGIES (Ancient city) GYTHIO

Paleochora tis Limnis

There are ruins of the ancient Aegiae at the place Paleochora tis Limnis.


The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

GYTHION (Ancient city) LACONIA

Gythion

  Town and port at the back of the Gulf of Lakonia. It is to the W of the mouth of the Eurotas and some 45 km from Sparta (Strab. 8.5.2; Paus. 3.21.6). Legend says it was founded jointly by Herakles and Apollo, reconciled after their quarrel over the Delphic tripod. It is on the small island of Kranai, ca. 100 m from the shore and to the S of the ancient city, that Paris is supposed to have first united with Helen (Il. 3.445). And in fact, it is there that the most ancient archaeological remains have been found (Mycenaean sherds, obsidian laminae). Nothing is known of the town in the archaic period. Protogeometric vases, doubtless from a necropolis, have been found on the Mavrovouni mound 3 km to the SW. A text of a religious prohibition was cut into the rock in the 6th c. (IG v.1, 1155). Gythion must have been used by Sparta from a rather early time as both a port and arsenal. It is mentioned as such in all the conflicts in which Sparta was involved. It was ravaged in 456-455 by the Athenian admiral Tolmides (Thuc. 1108.5; Diod. 11.84; Paus. 1.27.5), closely watched by Alkibiades in 408 (Xen. Hell. 1.4.11), and having been taken in 369 by the Thebans of Epaminondas (ibid. 6.5.32) after a three day siege, it was recaptured by the Spartans shortly before 362 (Polyaen. 2.9). In 218, Philip V of Macedon devastated the surrounding countryside but did not attack the city itself (Polyb. 5.19.6). In 195, Nabis concentrated his fleet there and made the town a point of strategic support. But attacked by Flamininus, the garrison surrendered in exchange for permission to withdraw to Sparta (Livy 34.29). In the treaty concluded shortly afterwards the city was given autonomy, and the title of savior was consequently conferred on Flamininus (IG v.1, 1165), Nabis attacked the city again in 193, and took it in 192. After his death it appears to have been under Achaian control until 146 B.C. Then it was a member of the Eleutheriolakonian League. In 72-71 M. Antonius Creticus taxed it heavily for his campaign against the pirates (IG v.1, 1146). Under the Empire it instituted a festival in which divine honors were rendered to Augustus, Livia, Flamininus, and Tiberius, despite the fact that the latter at first refused them. Gytheion struck bronze coinage under Septimius Severus, Caracalla, and Geta, and appears to have been prosperous up to the 4th c. A.D.
  The only excavations--and these have been only very summarily published--have been of the theater and its surroundings, where a Kaisareion must have been located. The tiers of the theater are well preserved. The modern town has covered the ancient one, and certain monuments visible in the 19th c. are no longer so today, as, for example, the great niche cut into the rock and bearing an inscription mentioning Zeus Terastios (IG v.1, 1154). A few remains of Roman buildings are to be seen on the hill to the N of the theater. Walls can be made out under the sea at the point where the shore turns to the NE. A small museum has been installed in the local college, but several important pieces disappeared shortly before 1939, and others have been taken to the museum at Sparta.

C. Le Roy, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


LAS (Ancient city) GYTHIO

Las

  Town mentioned in the Catalogue of Ships (Il. 2.585). Legend gives it an eponymous founder (Paus. 3.24.10) and adds that it was captured by the Dioskouroi (Strab. 8.5.4) and that the Heraklidai used its port after their victory. The importance of this port in historic times is illustrated by the fact that the Spartan fleet called there in 411 (Thuc. 8.91-92) and that the Lakedaimonians attacked it in 189 (Livy 3 8.30-31) in order to obtain access to the sea. Under the Empire, it was sufficiently prosperous to coin money under Septimius Severus, Caracalla, and Geta.
  The site of the Homeric city was supposed to be Mount Asia, which is identified with the hill of Passava, on which is built a Frankish castle with large blocks of ancient masonry visible in its walls. But one cannot be sure, given the absence of any Mycenaean sherds. On the other hand, numerous chance finds from the Hellenistic and Roman periods have been made on the plain. The port may have been situated either at Vathi, on the coast, or a little to the S at Ayeranos, which can be identified as the site of the Arainos mentioned by Pausanias together with Las.

C. Leroy, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.