EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for destination: "KONTOVAZENA Village ARCADIA".


Information about the place (1)

Local government WebPages

Kontovazaina

Kontovazaina is a mountainous large village 72 Km away from Tripolis. It is located on the road passing through Lagadia. It is the seat of the homonymous municipality and has 450 inhabitants. The village is built on a green gully and offers a great view to the valley of Ladona. Close to Kontovazaina is the electricity factory of Ladona. 4 Km away from Kontovazaina and on the road to Neos Paos (and a bit lower from the top of the Mountain Afrodisios (position called Agios Petros-) are the derelicts of the ancient temple of Venous Erikinis. The sanctuary was not just a simple temple but an important oracle center of the region. On the road from Pera Vachlia there is a stone built bridge with a large arch. On its right, there is a disused water-mill. The mill's condition is good and has a cask of impressive length. In a distance of 1 Km west to Vachlia (at position Arti), are the foundations of an ancient temple and the derelicts of its walls. At the lower quarter is the tower of Aga. It is about a small two-floored house, equipped with loopholes and a vault on the second floor. On the road to Dimitra there is an interesting fountain in a dry-stone wall. On the area of Dimitra the ancient sanctum of Elefsinia Dimitra is placed. In a small distance, on an abrupt location there is a fortification from the age of the Turkish domination. Today it is used as a mountain shelter.
At Kontovazaina everyone can worship God at the beautiful church of Agios Nikolaos. It is about a single aisle basilica church, built in 1826. In the area, six water mills are also preserved. Their row starts from Agios Nikolaos and reaches as far as the monastery of Kleivokas. Finally, on the road from Kontovazaina to Olympia we meet Chlia Vrisi. It is a stone built fountain with small columns, capitals and pediment. It was built in 1895 and renovated in 1927 and in 1973.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Prefecture of Arcadia URL below, which contains image.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.