Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for wider area of: "DAVLIA Municipality VIOTIA" .
DAVLIS (Ancient city) VIOTIA
At a later time Daulia, (Strab. ix. p. 423) and Daulion, (Polyb. iv. 25): Eth. Daulios, (Herod. viii. 35); Daulieus, (Aesch. Choeph. 6740): Dhavlia. A very ancient town of Phocis, near the frontiers of Boeotia, and on the road from Orchomenus and Chaeroneia to Delphi. It is said to have derived its name from the woody character of the district, since daulos was used by the inhabitants instead of dalos, while others sought for the origin of the name in the mythical nymph Daulis, a daughter of Cephissus. (Strab. ix. p. 423; Paus. x. 4. § 7.) Daulis is mentioned by Homer as a Phocian town along with Crissa and Panopeus. (Il. ii. 520.) It is celebrated in mythology as the residence of the Thracian king, Tereus, who married Procne, the daughter of Pandion, king of Athens, and as the scene of those horrible deeds in consequence of which Procne was changed into a swallow, and her sister Philomele into a nightingale. Hence the latter was called by the poets the Daulian bird. (Thuc. ii. 29; Paus. l. c.) The woody district round the town is still a favourite haunt of the nightingale.
Daulis was destroyed by the Persians in the invasion of Xerxes. (Herod. viii. 35.) It was destroyed a second time by Philip, at the end of the Sacred War (Paus. x 3. § 1); but it was subsequently rebuilt, and is mentioned in later times as a town almost impregnable in consequence of its situation upon a lofty hill ( Daulis, quia in tumulo excelso sita est, nec scalis nec operibus capi poterat, Liv. xxxii. 18). Pausanias relates (x. 4. § 7) that the inhabitants of Daulis were few in number, but surpassed all the other Phocians in stature and strength. The only building in the town mentioned by him was a temple of Athena; but in the neighbourhood he speaks of a district called Tronis, in which was the chapel of a hero called the Archegetes.
The name of Daulis is still preserved in that of the modern village of Dhavlia, situated in a narrow valley, through which flows a branch of the Cephissus, called Platania. The walls of the acropolis may be traced on the summit of the height rising opposite the modern village, and connected with the foot of Parnassus by a narrow isthmus. Within the enclosure is an ancient church of St. Theodore. Here an inscription has been found in which mention is made of the worship of Athena Polias and of Serapis. Before the door of the church in the modern village is another ancient inscription, of considerable length, recording an arbitration made at Chaeroneia in the reign of Hadrian, concerning certain property in Daulis. It is given by Leake, and in Bockh's collection (No. 1732). In this inscription we read of a road leading to the Archagetes, which is evidently the chapel of the hero spoken of by Pausanias. One of the plots of land in the inscription is called Platanus, from which probably comes the name of the river Platania.
On one of the heights above Dhavlia lies the monastery of Jerusalem. The road leading to it from the village, and from it to the upper heights of Parnassus, is no doubt the same as the road from Daulis to Parnassus correctly described by Pausanias as longer than the one from Delphi, but less difficult.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
A titular see of Greece.
Daulis, later Daulia, Dauleion, often Diauleia, even Davalia, was a town of Phocis,
on the Cephissus, fifteen
Roman miles north-east of Delphi.
At the end of the seventh century it had become a suffragan of Athens.
In 1393 Talantion was cut off from Daulia and made a distinct see: this was a town at the foot of Mount Knemis, the ancient name of which was Atalante. The bishops of Daulia long protested against this division; at last, about the end of the fifteenth century the two sees were reunited as “Daulia and Talantion”; they remained so, except for a brief period about 1567.
In 1653 the double see was made an archbishopric, owing to the influence of a Turkish pasha, but after two years was reduced to its former status. Talantion was then commonly named in the first place, and finally was the only name in use. The bishop resided there, as Daulia was almost in ruins. The See of Daulia was suppressed in 1833, when the Church of the Kingdom of Greece was organized on an independent basis.
As early as 1205 Daulia became a Latin see. Since 1441, at least, the see has been titular.
S. Petrides, ed.
Transcribed by: Anthony J. Stokes
This extract is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.
A city on the E slope of Parnassos overlooking the schize hodos leading
to Arachova and Delphi as well as the approach to Boiotian Kephissos (Soph. Oed.
The city goes back to the Mycenaean period and is mentioned by Homer (Il. 2.520). In the Median wars Daulis was burned by the Persians as were the nearby cities of Panopeus and Lilaia. In 395 the Thebans failed to seize the city (Hell. Oxy. 18 (13). 6) although they sacked the whole region; then in 346 it was destroyed by Philip (Paus. 10.3.1). In 220 the Aitolians tried in vain to recapture Ambrysos and Daulis (Polyb. 4.25.2) which they had lost about 225, and in 198 Flamininus seized the city from Philip V (Livy 32.18.7).
Daulis was built on a table-shaped acropolis (468 m high). Its ramparts, which are well preserved, were quadrangular and built of polygonal masonry, and rendered the city almost impregnable (Livy 32.18; cf. Paus. 10.4.7). Daulis had a Sanctuary of Athena, a cult of Athena Soteira, for which there is epigraphical evidence, and a Sanctuary of Isis. Inside the acropolis is the Church of Haghii Theodori, built with the reused ancient stones.
Daulis is not to be confused with Daulis in Epeiros.
Y. Bequignon, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!